Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MiSt

The Black King #2/0

Here is one of the Spey flies that I tyed a few months ago. It is the Black King on Partridge HE2 #2/0 hook.

Comments and suggestions are welcome! Thanks to Phil Glendinning for showing the style to put on the wings! I like them this way better. ;)

Hope you like it!

post-4194-1199398129_thumb.jpg

that is one of the most georgus speys i have ever seen!!! beautiful!!

MiSt.........THAT IS Gorgeous. Classy to the MAX!!!!! I have 3/4 hundred of those hooks.....in 1/0, 2/0, 3/0....can't wait to try somethin' like that with them. But i need to find out just HOW i'm gonna be able to paint them, and then keep the paint job from not screwin' up/fallin' off/etc./etc..... on down the road. And not marin' in the vise jaws, even with protection. I've got the paint, but i still haven't started experimentin' yet. I've got a kitchen oven right off the new tyin' room in the Arkansas house. We have two kitchens in the house, up and down stairs. I've been told i need to bake the painted hooks at bout 350 degrees for an hour and a half after painting them, and that you need to give them two or three coats as well, first. Now how to keep the paint outta the barb well.....how to keep it from gobbin' up there??????? I'm thinkin' potters clay.....put the point of the shank sticking straight up into some clay while the hook bakes. And if the clay is pressed against something that it will stay attached to during bakin'..........i'm home free. Or is that cockamayme????? IDEAS????????? mark..... B)

So THAT'S what they're supposed to look like!!!

What's the secrect to mounting the wings?

beautiful job.

Not sure how Mist did it or how Phil showed him, but to me it's about applying thread pressure to the sides of the hook (near side and far side).

For a lot of flies we tie, from classics to trout flies, warmwater, saltwater flies , etc. thread pressure is usally applied to the top of the hook shank in a vertical manner.

For speys and dees I have better success compressing the wing fibers horizontally by either pulling thread away from me to put pressure on the near side.

Typically for the far side I reverse the thread so I can pull the thread towards me.

I try to get the fibers to compress from the side of the hook shank to the center line of the hook shank.

Hope this helps,

Frank

I don't know much about speys, but it sure looks good!! It has a sleak agressive look!

Many thanks everyone for your encouraging comments! :D

What I meen by the trick in the wing is really about tying the strips this way up.

Here is a bit better pic of the fly. It is amazing how much better my old camera is... :blink:

post-4194-1200172561_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this