Fly Tying
RoyalWulff

Dai Riki 135

Hello everyone,

I recently picked up some dai riki 135's. They are a bronzed scud hook that have an offset bend. I am use to tying with the tiemco scudd hooks which lay flat on the table, but these have that bent offset hook point. Have you guys used this hook, or a similar style?

That offsent bend is a little annoying at first, so I bent a few (is that kosher?). Would that offset bend help with hook ups compared to the regular style hook?

What are peoples experience with this style, or similar offset hooks?

Thanks

Help with hook ups? HELL YEA! I tie a lot with this hook. As the hook is pulled on the set there is almost no way to get it past the gums with out it penetrating.

The Dai-Riki 135 can be compared to the Daiichi 1150, if I'm not mistaken. It is a wonderful hook, in my opinion. I would back away from bending hooks too much, especially with the Dai-Riki's. I've heard they have a tendency to break easily after bending them. Not my experience, but I have heard it mentioned several times.

Isnt it the one that you can tie a egg pattern on... If so I havent had a probably with them in size 8... Since I do use Dai Riki 135. i think it is the same hook... But ya I hook a chinook on one and it didnt even break... or bend and it was a 30 pounder too..

thanks a lot guys,

I initally didnt like the look of the hooks, but i think they are growing on me.

You guys rock yet again!!!

p

I'm pretty sure all offset hooks (is it called a "kerb"? ) should be banned from fly tying. :hyst: They're for crawler fishing with a zebco 202. :hyst: Next thing you know, people are going to be putting attractor scent on their flies. Will the horror ever end??