Fly Tying
Matt Inman

The ultimate vise, not including a LAW

I have 3 main vises. One called the" Classic" which was specifically made for the big boys. also have an HMH, and yes , a Master as well(which I use 90 percent of the time) I came very close to picking up a Law BUT McLain talked me out of it as well. B)

IPB Image

Come on Matthew, you know you want it. Those kids don't need all that food, you can walk to the office, do you really need a house? :hyst:

I would love to tie on a LAW before I bought one. Would you mail it to me so I can try it out? I promise to bring it back to you at Callaway. :)

I would love to tie on a LAW before I bought one. Would you mail it to me so I can try it out? I promise to bring it back to you at Callaway. :)

I think I would have separation anxiety if I loaned it to you. :shocking: :lol:

Matt

The new Renzetti Mastery has a powder coated finish (regular version not special edition black) that is a mat finish (no sheen). I find it rather ugly. The old version looked quite elegant IMHO

The special edition black, mars very easy and will look like crap in no time soon.

It's a great vise, i just think they took a big step backwards with the 2 new finishes

One vise you may want to look at is the Dingo Vise. It not that expensive when you convert the price from

AU to $.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bjrodg/

GSB

I am really confused now about the new finishes. I think that they have been anodized or hard anodized which is a completely different process than powder coating which is actually a layer of paint. Can anyone clear this up for me? I think that the anodized finish on both was aimed to prevent glare even if it doesn't look as pretty.

I got a danvise because I was broke but now I can't see any reason to spend more then eighty bucks for a vise. It works great.

I have a Danvise and find it even more amazing that he is able to create his works of beauty while overcoming such an amazing handicap. :)

Sorry Bud but I said that I don't want to look like the homeless guy next to the three old guys I am tying with at Somerset!

Matt,

You are being pulled by the dark side. Just look at the title of your post. "Not including a LAW". You must include a LAW in your overall search. You are just eating yourself up over this purchase.

I highly recommend you call and talk to Lawrence Waldron in England. He will let you know how many (if any) he is working on and availability. You must understand where his cost are coming from and why. Do the same with Andy Renzetti (hopefully you will get to talk with him).

Even for $700 I would want to know where the components are sourced from, how they are made, etc.

I hope you find the right vise for you. But looking at the title of your post, it really makes a statement.

Find a reason other than the exchange rate not to buy the Law and by that vice. Until you do this, you may always yearn...

Feel the pull of the dark side. (Although the bright white base is very positive and sets a very soothing and nice mood when its time to tie...)

The pain of the exchange rate will diminish within the first 30 days.

But there is no question especially when you look at Bud's mastery on the Danvise, the vice is only an instrument.

Since some of these posts show the emotions between a LAW and its owner, just imagine the creative stuff Bud would be spitting out if he had a LAW. Scary..... :bugeyes:

Good Luck.

Matt

I have owned the two barracuda and they have trashed some nice hooks where as the four renzetti have never. the new presentaion 2000 is ok the master far out performs the others. James

The LAW , from Laurence A. Waldren, costs £400 in the U.K.plus p&p. so expect it to be around $840 approx. F.F.I. go to Hans W's danica site, there is a link to it there.

Matt

The old version of the Renzetti mastery had a silver/satin finish that was anodized.

They now make 2 versions of the Mastery:

The standard has a new powder coating

The special edition is anodized in black

Both have a mat finish

GSB

I like my regal vise, its all I have ever known...... was actually a gift from my Gram when I was about 14 years old for Christmas 1 year. I can't even imagine how many flies I have tied on that thing, I have tied them down to a size 28 on it. Never did anything larger then a 4.0 yet so I don't know if it will hold um or not. I can vouch for it never breaking or getting worn out, has served me well.

Keith