Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Carne

McIntyre 6/0

Another one on a lovely hook. Wa slucky enough to find a really slim tippet collar yesterday - so this has a true ful tippet underwing.

Ain't tied this one for a while - hope you like it.

Dave

post-3384-1200232890_thumb.jpg

Very nice tying, but I think it's a little too much pink. The full hackle and a more sparse collar make it a little to pink for my personal beliking. Possible this is a more correct way of tying it, but anyhow I prefer the pattern better with a more sparse hackel and fuller collar to make the fly a little darker.

Dave, I think that McIntyre is saying that your fly looks like a sissy. :) I think that it looks great. The underwing looks nice and it has a nice flow to it.

It really is nice to have you back to tying regularly again.

As the other said, a bit sissy in colour, but otherwise I like the shape and the wing as always. Wish you could tie the gut below the hook shank instead of the sides of it, it would look 100% classic then..

Just happened that the magenta hackles I had of a suitable size (wanted a really long flowing body hackle to work with the heron throat) were all very webby (and so looked very dense) - maybe I should have used a more 'period' magenta - ie more like a claret than this - again though I didn't have any of a suitable size.

Cheers

Dave

PS Actuallt I was jus looking at it when I took it out of the vice and the magenta isn't nearly as dense as it appears on this - as ever my dodgy camera is up to its bizarre tricks.

Beautifully tied Dave, cant wait to see your next post

tyrone

A real corker, Dave! I especially like the compactness of the tie -- much more "compressed" than most of the McIntyres I've seen. Sweet!

John

Great Dave! Nice to see a McIntyre with the underwing tyed the way the pattern says! ;)

Do you mount the gut to the sides of the hook when there is full feather underwung and under in other cases? I find this a good way to go...

Great Dave! Nice to see a McIntyre with the underwing tyed the way the pattern says! ;)

Do you mount the gut to the sides of the hook when there is full feather underwung and under in other cases? I find this a good way to go...

Thanks Muski :P I almost always mount on the sides - though recently tried mixing with the gut beneath and this does seem to work better in that particular case - just seem nonsensical to me to mess around trying to mount on top of a shank when you can create a perfect winging platform and also hide the shank stub in profile at the same time.

D

Sign in to follow this