Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steeladdict

"What Fish See"--The Book

I heard about a book that was written by an eye doctor and fishing fanatic from California. The title of the book is "What Fish See". Anybody out there ever read it, is it worth the investment, and of course I will buy it at Green Caddis Outfitters.

Hmm, I am sure that would be fairly interesting. Interesting to hear what this doctor believes fish see. And I am sure it would be beneficial for anyone to further understand the logistics behind fishing. He must have done a lot of research, because I mean anyone could guess what a fish saw, but to make a book. People may wonder the validity behind his words. Is it from studying eyes or actually fishing and learning the patterns of the fish. Oh well, just a thought. I am very tired now... Need to sleep!

What fish think.

Wheres lunch wheres lunch wheres lunch.

and sometimes..

Thats one sad looking fly I ain't eatin that.

--

I've often wondered what flies look like underwater.

IMHO its a 7 on a scale of 1-10. Some good info and some on color shifts that mean a lot to the author, but as far as I've seen is probably a third order consideration in catching fish. But then I'm not a steelheader, as the author is, and you guys sometimes assign different orders to the size, shape, color factors when choosing flys to match the naturals than I do.

I used to think fish just didn't care until I moved to New Mexico and went to places that are heavily fished and where all fish are released. My friends and I laugh at the fish on the San Juan because they look at flies like a judge at the fair. They swim under your fly and carefully examine it. Sometimes thay take it and sometimes they refuse it. The fish do the same thing on the Green right under the Flaming Gorge dam. It's fun to watch but it can get really frustrating. I just bought a polarizing lense for my video camera and I hope to take some pictures during my upcoming trip. Maybe I'll catch this behavior on tape.

It's a pretty good book. I agree with the rating of 7 out of 10. Most of the info about color is more relevant for those that use hardware than those of us that use fur, feathers, and synthetics. Mostly because of the dyeing process and and the lack of consistency when dealing with natural materials compared to metal or plastic. I.E. Flourescent feathers or fur - some of what is sold isn't flourescent, it's just brightly colored.

The book also deals with testing materials to find out whether they are flourescent or not.

Water depth is also a major consideration with this book. If you mainly fish streams where the water depth is less than 6-10 ft., color shifts and changes in color don't become and issue

I would say that this book isn't for the casual or weekend fisherman, but it is very interesting to see the color plates and the authors findings.

Chip

Sign in to follow this