Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Inman

Favorite fly and most despised fly

I thought of this today as a topic for discussion and want to throw it out to the forum. I believe I know some of the answers for some people but just want to see what everyone else says. (Damian = Green Highlander :) )

For the sake of this Poll we will stick to classic patterns published in well known books and the answer will only require two answers:

1. Favorite pattern - Self explanatory, the one pattern that you like above all others.

2. Most despised pattern - The one pattern that you would be required to tie for eternity if you were banished to hell. :devil:

My answers:

1. Favorite - Torrish

2. Most Despised - Ray Mead

This is tough, I have a lot of favorites and I don't really hate any, but I'll give it a shot.

Favorite: Married Orange (DeFeo)

Least Favorite: Any Spey fly. If you've seen one, you've seen them all. (Sorry Dave)

Love-Green Highlander

HATE!-The bulldog

" (Damian = Green Highlander :D ) "

Hey how did you know!! LOL :hyst:

1. As Matt already "guessed" Green Highlander

2. hmmm...... I'm not really fond of the Mar Lodge.

There's not really any particular pattern that I hate, well I don't really tie many different patterns, Pretty much a Green Highlander kind of guy. I've tied, Black Dogs, Dusty Miller, Lady Amherst, Ray Mead, Jock Scott, Sherbrook, Silver Doctor, Red Rover, Kate, Some Spirit style flies, so I guess I haven't tried that many different patterns to really find one I hated.

On a visual point of view, I really don't like the look of the Mar Lodge and don't think I'll ever tie one. So I guess my answer is Mar Lodge.

This should be interesting Matt.

Top Billings- The Major (Fishing Gazette, GP swords with a Blue wool Head)

Least Favorite- Blacker's Ballyshannon. I may one day learn to like it. I only say this because the attempts that I have made at it have failed miserably. I really don't have a least favorite fly. But, from the torment aspect, this is it. -Jamie

love- durham ranger

absolutly hate: The Thunder and lightning(the one i tied over and over, kind of makes me not want to tie it... :( )

In my top1: The Butcher

Not my cup of tea: The Sherbrook (Sorry Arska ;)!) or Helmsdale Doctor (Should not be called a doctor!)

Favourite... I guess the Wild Irishman or if Full Dressed, then the Dr Donaldson.

Least Favourite... ANY Dee fly - I'm sorry I just hate them - ugly as sin, far too simple to tie to be challenging, over big on a long shaked hook - they just encourage sloppy tying all round - the Black Dwarf being undoubtedly the ugliest. The Ray Mead (and it's blue lookey likey - the Bulldog) is defo my bottom of the list on married wings - though the pattern as illustrated in Land and Water (in similar proportion to a traditional Black Dog) looks much better.

Not hot on Speys - though I have to say that when well tied they make for a very elegant fly that would fish beautifully (and would if I wasn't busy with shrimp patterns) be what I would fish.

Dave

At the moment my favorite is Captain Walton, I just love it. Never tied it though, I'm saving it for that special moment :)

Least favorite is probably the Floodtide

I'm not too experienced in salmon flies but I've seen quite a few so.....

Favorite- Chatterer

Can't stand- Dee Flies

Mr. Carne beat me to it. These are so [email protected]#% ugly I seriously hate the proportions and overall style. I have yet to see one I like........

Favorite: I don't tie classics, but if I had to choose it would be The Perfect, If reestyles were thrown into this It would be The Crimson Belle by Bud.

Least favorite: Spey Flies, I like Dee flies but don't really care for Speys.

My favorite fly would be the Green Highlander (I just love the way it looks)

My least favorite fly would be the Green Highlander :) ... no matter how hard I try, I just cannot get this fly to come together for me.

I would say that Green Highlander is the fly I think I like the most but I haven't give it a try yet.

I hate Silver Doctor at the moment, forth attempt this evening. Im never happy about it,hackle to long, underwing gets messed up etc etc...

You will see the final version soon

Sign in to follow this