Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Carne

Nicholson 5/0

This is 'A' Nicholson - never dared have a go at one of these before - it's based on the one illustrated in Hodgson (anyone got any listings/further info for the variants on these flies????).

Anyway the only hook I had suitable, ie longish shanked, was a 5/0 Sprite (which shy from normally - must cut all the ones I have down a bit) so I had to use that - this proved very hard work on the body at this size (as it's a 4 joint, each with two floss colours and less than 1/4" long, a hackle and a butt) as opposed to the three jointed Francis version - perhaps I should've used a 9/0 as per the one in the book!

Sort of made up the colour splits on the last two joints as they aren't clear in the book. Unforunately the GP spear underwing doesn't show - I HATE that stuff. Overall though i'm pretty chuffed - though it would have benefitted from a much bigger, longer shanked hook as at this shank length it has too much of the standard full dressed shaped about it.

Hope you likey

Dave

post-3384-1200470818_thumb.jpg

I likey!! One of my favourites , might have something to do with where I live. :headbang: :headbang:

i really found this a treat to look at Dave, it's good seeing you digging into the more complicated patterns and you've done a masterful job . this fly is one of my favorites from you and in my opinion really shows how skillful you are at dressing a fly

terrific job on this beauty

Bud

FANTASTIC TIE :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: In my eyes one of your best, GREAT bodywork, this fly looks very difficult to tie. :)

Agree with Bud. Very nice seing a fly from you that is not in the standard A4 proportions.

I simply love the fly. Very nice tying!

Hi Dave,

the fly is very nice and superbly tied. If you ever want to give a try with a bigger hook (like the 9/0 you said) I could send you one. I am reshaping some old Mustad with heavy wire and the result is very nice (in my opinion). Long shank and beautiful barb and point. Just let me know. If you want pm me your address. It is the minimum I can do to thank you for the leaflet with the dressing that you sent me some time ago.

Cheers

Alberto

Dave-Beautiful fly as always! FYI:Sawada lists 2 "Nicholson"s" with patterns and pics in his Classic Salmon Fly Dressing and James Waltham in his Classic Salmon Flies lists 6 "Nicholoson" flies for the Galway and Connemara. Don't know if they are variants or just other Nicholson flies. Have a go at them; I'm sure you will do them justice. Anyway, hope this helps if you don't have this info already. PaulR

Dave-Beautiful fly as always! FYI:Sawada lists 2 "Nicholson"s" with patterns and pics in his Classic Salmon Fly Dressing and James Waltham in his Classic Salmon Flies lists 6 "Nicholoson" flies for the Galway and Connemara. Don't know if they are variants or just other Nicholson flies. Have a go at them; I'm sure you will do them justice. Anyway, hope this helps if you don't have this info already. PaulR

Thanks - the Irish Nicholsons are a different series (this Nicholson's a Scottish fly) - I have Waltham's Francis Collection Book (as well as about 4 editions of Francis itself - my fav book) - is this the one you mean? There are a whole string of Nicholsons and I'm sure they're to be found somewhere - not in the Fishing Gazette though, I've looked - they're a style rather than a specific pattern - in a similar way to the Shannons.

Thanks for your help

Dave

I love your tying of this fly--I love the shape you got. The harmony between the top and bottom of the fly. I think everything is spot on. Very pleasing on the eye.

Thank you for posting this Mr. C.

Me like it a lot! Great work Dave!!! I like the wing mixing and the amount of realy good Kori in it!

Dave,

This is my Favorite pattern (the malloch version) You did it justice! I'd have loved to have seen it on a 7-8/0 though. I don't see the GP you speak of. I used Peacock when I tied it.

I've got some photos of this pattern and other variants that I pulled off of schmooklers site years ago. They were in a huge collection of classics being sold. You would swear some of them WERE tied by malloch. They very may well have been. I'll try to post them up If I get a chance.

Great job, Dave :headbang:

Aaron

Sign in to follow this