Fly Tying
Al Beatty

Are You Interested?

Hi Guys,

I just finished several frustrating days trying to find the "right photograph" for a magazine article and cover shot. I did a search on Google to find "stock photography fly fishing" and got my usual 8 or 10 people who I've worked with in the past like the Becks, Val Atkinson, Denver Bryant, etc. This last weekend I added Graham's great Web site http://www.grahamowengallery.com/ and Will Milne's blog http://www.watersidemb.ca/phflyfishing1.html so I now have 12 instead of 10 to check. Believe me, I'll be checking them often.

When I found Will's blog I got to wondering. The people on this photography site are a very talented bunch of photographers and I wondered how many of them had a blog or Web site with their pictures residing there, but not configured to show up on a Google search; at least they haven't shown up on a search for me!

Let me ask the question, "Are any of you interested in getting your photography published? Possibly even for dollars? If so, just answer this message and leave your Web site address or blog address. I will be checking on a fairly regular basis.

If you are interested let me provide some of the things I need for publishing photographs: (1) pics that are in focus and high enough resolution to provide a JPEG file of at least 800KB. This size shot works fine for a pic in a magazine of about 1.5" x 2". (2) Cover pics should be shot portrait positioning and the final file should be a TIF of about 50MB. (3) When you post your pics on a Web site/blog use a low resolution JPEG for illustration purposes and keep the high-resolution file safely filed at home. If we like a shot we'll give you FTP instructions for getting it to us if it's a BIG file or we can also use an email attachment to send a smaller files.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Flyfisher magazine

Hi Al,

I'm interested! I recently filed a DBA and opened a new bank account to facilitate sales of photography and art. It's exciting how fast things get moving, and yesterday I did my first corporate assignment, photographing a high end store; exterior, interior, employees, merchandise, etc... Was challenging, paid very well, but I much prefer doing outdoor nature types of work, such as fly fishing, wildlife and scenery. A D3 would have come in handy yesterday.

I've also invested in about a dozen different books relating to the business of professional photography, including dozens of legal forms, contracts, pricing, licensing, etc.

I realize the big money is in advertising, fashion, etc, but I really want to go in the direction of my passion, and those types of shots will hopefully prove suitable for your applications.

I don't put all of my photos on my website, and lately have been slowing down on the number posted online. Seems like the best income is derived from selling exclusive rights to images, which means I can't take the risk that people will copy them, and be seen later by those who pay a premium price for exclusive rights.

I'm wondering, do people send you DVD's with image collections? I've been told that's how a number of nature photographers work, basically sending their images to those they trust, knowing that if they are published a payment will be made.

Cheers,

Graham

I don't have any fly fishing photographs, yet.

But I am always interested in getting stuff published.

If given enough time I could get a photograph for a given assignment if needed.

I shoot film with a Holga, which is considered a "toy camera" so my stuff is a little different, but I think it would fit well.

Take a look at my site for some examples of my photography.

Brian

I was hoping I'd beat you to the post Jay! :D

Hi guys,

I'll try to keep up on questions. If I miss one of your questions my email address is [email protected].

Graham: Yes, many of the regular stock photographers like Beck, Atkinson, Bryant, O'Keefe, etc. send our CD/DVD's with a sample of their photo selection. They usually are "water marked" as small JPEG however several have sent me medium sized TIFF files (about 10MB) and told me to use as I needed and send payment as I did so. There are not many of those photog's that do so but they are people who have worked for the magazine for a long time even though they have worked with me for only a few months. Cover shots are usually send from the photographer via FTP to the down load section of our Web site or on CD depending on the time line. I look forward to working with you but don't go through "sticker shock" when you learn how poor fly-fishing pics pay in relation to some of the stuff you've already done. Graham there is also fairly good dollars in catalog photography; not much on a per pic basis but you shoot a heck of a lot of pics and they don't want you to do any Photoshop work on the files - they take care of all of the boring stuff.

Jay: I was hoping you would send me your info. I'll certainly look through your pics. Thank you.

Brian: I'm looking forward to looking through your pics and will do so as soon as I hit the "send" button.

Take care & Tight Lines,

Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Flyfisher magazine

Hi guys,

Let me add one thing. Please include an email address so I can keep any correspondence off this Web site. I've already seen several things I really like. Thank you. Take care & ...

Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Flyfisher magazine

Hi Al,

Thank you again for the offer, as well as for your reply. I realized a while back that fly fishing magazines pay considerably less for images than other mags, likely because it is such a small market compared to others. AA paid me $600 for a cover, and recently sent me another check for $100 because they are going to re-publish the steelhead image as a 1/4 page inside the mag in the next issue. A while back I received an e-mail from the photo editor at Ducks Unlimited seeking a ducks in flight shot, in a marsh setting, with storm clouds in the sky. They pay $600 for a 1/4 page inside shot. I didn't ask what a cover pays. ( I didn't have the image they were seeking) One good thing about the fly fishing mags, they don't expect exclusive rights, and the photos can be re-sold numerous times, assuming they are marketable as such.

I've spent the past 26 years doing solar energy work, and some installations are much more profitable than others, but that’s just the way it is. In fact, my favorite projects were done for free, as donations, to non-profit organizations, such as solar powering the condor release sites on top of the mountains in Big Sur California. Some good memories and tax deductions...lol...

I would rather spend my photography time capturing images I'm passionate about, for less money, rather than being bored and unexcited, for more $. I can’t think of anything I’d rather do that fly fish and photograph, except for family related stuff….

Graham

[email protected]

Al-

I just wanted to say , that, I think this a tremendous idea. It provides a resource for editors , as well as promotes and encourages photographers at a very grass roots level. It is my belief that there are many excellent photographers, working with very local/regionally based fly fishing imagery, whose worth, both as expressions of the spirit of fly fishing and as photographs, is often underestimated . I have great respect for the more well known stock fly fishing photographers ,and the commitment and skill they bring to their work, at the same time , I think local knowledge/intimacy can often lead to images that others may simply miss .

I hope folks take Al's offer as an opportunity, to possibly see some of their work published , and show the rest of us , what drives your passion for fly fishing , whatever form it may take.

Will

I dont know If I would have anything you would like Al..But I will throw up a link to my Blog and let you decide..I think that getting my photos published would be great..

The Fly Spot

or you can view my flickr page HERE

and my E-mail is [email protected]

Sure why not, some exposure can't hurt right :)

Al, heres the link to the site where I upload and host a good number of images. Email link is on the home page.

http://jben.zenfolio.com/

After submitting an introductory CD to a magazine with a variety of images , I might be getting some magazine assignement work this season (dont want to count my chickens to soon) so Id need to be careful about exclusives etc( they buy NA first rights in some cases). At some point is been a goal of miine to cater to fishing/wildlife/hunting publications. Niche market, but I view that as a good thing and some exposure could only help.

I might be revamping the site over the spring as I start getting out for them and change directions a bit from "birds" to more emphasis on fishing/hunting ad wildlife.

Al,

Thanks for responding. You can reach me through:

Jason Morrison

"JayMorr"

[email protected]

I am putting together a more formal website. As soon as I have the new site up and running, I will be sure to give you the new address.

Great websites guys!

Not at the moment, but maybe in a year or so, when I sharpen my photo skills and get a better camera.