Fly Tying
Salmo22

Hook Storage Boxes

What type of "boxes" do you use to store your assortment of hooks. I'm especially interested in what is being used by folks that do demo tying at expos and enclaves. I've got an old Umpqua hook box that is on the large size, does not do a good job of keeping small hooks from migrating/mixing with other sizes, and is not very portable.

Thanks;

Jeff

I use a Tiemco hook storage box that has been great for shows etc, The box holds thousands of hooks in separate plastic boxes and all have a place to name them etc.

It is an ideal size and is compact.

Mike............................. B)

I like to use 'Craftmates' storage boxes...they are sold in craft shops but I got mine in Walmart. They are a double box with 7 separate comparments on each side...14 total. Each compartment can only be opened by pushing a tab that is located at one end of the container...this helps when I want to travel with a tying bag & don't have to worry about losing hooks. I keep one set for Dry hooks #14-#26, Nymph/Wet #10-#20 and another one that is for special sizes/hooks. Each compartment is labeled with the brand /size & when I run low I just restock .

Don't know how well they would work for shows, but the CF boxes are great for home use. Skinny for small storage space, and magnetized to help keep hooks in place. Never had a problem with hooks creeping into other compartments.

I buy Extra-Large daily pill boxes from wal-mart then use Goof-off to remove the letter for the day of the week.

They are inexpensive, and the main feature - individual opening lids.

I keep the magnetic inserts from Tiemco packaging and trim it to fit the bottom of each compartment.

I just keep em in the original package so I have all the needed info for the hook. I tried to use a plano organizer, but then of course what about type, style, size, and brand. Thats just too much info to go on a 1/4x1/4 inch square. I plan on getting a huge peg board and just store the original packages on pegs so I know what I have.

Below is a picture of my tying desk so you could see my hook storage cabinet which is the blue cabinet mounted on the wall.It's one of those cabinets with the small drawers used to hold small nuts and bolts and screws etc and can be picked up at any Lowe's or most other hardware stores.

For traveling one thing that is cheap you can consider are the plastic compartment lure boxes available through Walmart and made by PLANO. I use them to mail fly orders out in and they work well for that. They come in various sizes and are priced about $2-$3 each depending on size and number of compartments. You might can see one that i'm filling now laying on top of my desk if you enlarge the picture.

post-13716-1202223185_thumb.jpg

I use the Spirit River Pro Model hook boxes, 20-comparment on the bench and 10-compartment at demonstrations and club events. I add a velcro cable wrap (pack of 8 at Walmart hardware dept) around the box when traveling, extra insurance against a spill. I have seen others cut down the small square magnets from a hook pack and glue them into into the bottoms of the hook boxes.

Plenty of room to add brand/hook/size information labels on the outside lid. I find it handy to add a quick reference (size) inside the lid with a Sharpie marker.

Russ

I bought some 20 compartment hook boxes from Feather Craft. They have curved bottoms in the compartments for easy pick up. I label the lids with style # and size.

Jeremy

A combination of the Craft Mate described above (here's a photo)

IPB Image

and one of those 20 compartment hook boxes. My main gripe is for most sizes I use, both boxes leave a lot of wasted space. But as I don't generally travel with my tying gear, it doesn't matter much.

If I did bring fly tying gear with me on the road, I'd use the small, 6 or 8 compartment lidded boxes like this one, where I now keep my old, rarely used hooks.

IPB Image

Cabela's sells them here flip top boxes, but at 3.99 each they are a bit pricey. You can sometimes find them cheaper in drugstores

I have 5 of Umpqua's "Oregon-iser" boxes that I use for my "active" tying hooks. I have had good luck with these as far as hooks not "migrating" to adjacent compartments,etc. I might add,that I have added small

silicone rubber "feet" to the corners of all of them,as I stack them on a shelf,and to avoid them sliding around on the bench. When I handle one,I handle it as though it was a piece of rare,expensive,very breakable crystal,because I KNOW that dropping one of these one day,is inevitable!! With my luck,it will be the one with all my dry fly hooks in it. (for the most part,I have a small square of flexible magnetic ribbon in the bottoms of the compartements...which won't help AT ALL if the box is dropped from the benchtop to the floor!!! :hyst: :hyst:

Sulphernut

I like pill dispensers that I label with the hook info. Once I find hooks I really like, this helps me to remember them while saving space. I use other dispensers for bigger hooks.

I have two Oregonizer boxes, and I dropped them once. One was full of dry fly hooks the other nymph and streamer hooks. It took years to get them sorted out. Now all the hooks stay in small plastic baggies. Each bag is labeled, and the quantity noted in pencil. I try to update the quantities as I use hooks. I keep my larger hooks in clear 4 x 4 x1" tape boxes. Each box holds one size, and serveral styles in small ziploc plastic baggies. I have filled 12 of these so far.

I decided to forgo all the trouble of labels and storage systems

and just empty my hooks onto the floor below my tying station,

hunting for them with a magnet when required (they always end

up there anyway, storage system or not)

It gives me a nice sense of achievement, knowing I cut out the middle man.