Fly Tying
JJD

Rattling Crease Fly

I can't decide if I'm more impressed with the fly or the photography. That is a great shot. What is your setup if you don't mind me asking.

Nice Fly, Nice Photo, Nice Weedguard.

I might have to try that type of weedguard. I've tied them other ways, but that way looks worth trying too!

Thanks for the feedback guys. You cannot believe how loud this fly is! I tried it out in the gale force winds for a fwe minutes yesterday. For some background, most bass flies that I tie are dual duty - freshwater and saltwater (snook). As a result the hooks are heavier than needed for bass.

For years I've been against weedguards, but in the last two years, many of the biggest fish I've caught were all taken from heavy cover and it is a pain to get hung up when you've spotted a potential trophy. I've been experimenting with several different versions. The one on this fly is the latest. I'm just experimenting with the right weight mono to resist hang-ups without losing fish. I'm using between #16 and #20 Mason Hard Mono with some success so far. The goal is to have a fly that can be tossed into the roots of a mangrove without hanging up as the current carries it - or one that can be dropped into the open pockets of lily pads.

The picture was taken with a Canon G9 (picked up with credit card bonus points). It's a little pricey, but it has nearly all of the adjustability of my DSLR in a smaller package that I can carry everywhere. The background is a scrapbook page from the local craft store, which has an uncredible number of patterns. The shot was taken on the desk with a long-necked halogen lamp and no flash. I could have used the photo as-is, but I ran a quick Levels, Unsharp Mask, and resize. The border and text were added at the end playing around in photoshop.

I like the weedguard, too. I've never tried one of these flys (the crease style) before. Does it fish like a popper or like a shallow diver?

If you keep the mouth open, it is a great popper. It catches lots of air. It is probably why it is such a good saltwater pattern for stripers in the northeast. For some reason in this version, the rattle is seems to have been amplified by the body, which is coated by two coats of Loon's Hard Head. You can't tell by the photograph, but the Loon's Hard Head leaves a very shiny "wet" looking surface.

One piece of #20-#30 hard mono folded over the shank into two straight pieces, crimped with pliers. You can fully guard the hook point. As I stated earlier, my goal is to be able to drift a fly into the tightest cover without hanging up - yet still hook fish. It is quite a balancing act.