Fly Tying
Frank G. Swarner III

More Laced Feather Wing Speys

Tied a few more smaller versions (size 7 Alec Jackson) and a couple of bigger ones (size 1).

Played around with some ice dubbing for the front half......the floss in the rear will most likely fray from teeth or wear and tear. Sometimes the ribbing is too much and takes away from the color.

The brown feathers on the one fly are actually a natural color and have a nice fade from front to rear.

post-609-1203211104_thumb.jpg

post-609-1203211124_thumb.jpg

post-609-1203211140_thumb.jpg

post-609-1203211152_thumb.jpg

post-609-1203211160_thumb.jpg

post-609-1203211257_thumb.jpg

Very nicely done !!! and great designs :headbang: :headbang: Love those feathers

Beauty flies Frank!

Where do you get those feathers? Also what type of spey hackle is that? Those look beautiful, I bet you could tie a hot shrimp fly like that!

Keep up the good work!

Tied a few more smaller versions (size 7 Alec Jackson) and a couple of bigger ones (size 1).

Played around with some ice dubbing for the front half......the floss in the rear will most likely fray from teeth or wear and tear. Sometimes the ribbing is too much and takes away from the color.

The brown feathers on the one fly are actually a natural color and have a nice fade from front to rear.

Hi frank

Beautifull Speys. You really dressed those Alec jackson hooks very well. :thumbsup:

I particually like the first one to the left the one with the Brown feather. Got a nice flow over it.

What feathers do you use for wings?

regards

Jens

The feathers for the wings are "Whiting Laced Feathers"...... I bought the ones I have in person, so I could check the slenderness of each feather.

Some necks have very full, round feathers which wouldn't add to the sleekness of a spey fly..........I also cheated and ran the fly under hot water, let them dry vertically, and took pictures after combing. You can find them online, but if you buy one online, you may not be happy.

The hackle on the larger flies is Blue Eared Pheasant, and Ringneck Pheasant Rump(dyed) for the smaller ones.

Thanks guys!!

Frank

REALLY top notch tyin' Frank.....you never cease to amaze. I love those wing feathers...........i have them in bout every color you can get 'em in. I use to have a LOT of birds.........bout 250, at one time. And i had those chickens. They come in two varieties.....the Silver Laced Whyendotts and the Golden Laced Whyendotts. (I may have mispelled that.) The Silvers are actually a White bird with the edges of the feathers black. Those are the ones they use to dye at Whiting. Looks like you may have got some feathers from a Golden as well, undyed. The Goldens are a rich carmel brown with black edges. They were some of my most easy to deal with chickens. Very calm in nature.....lay a very good eatin' egg as well. :D I miss havin' the birds, and the eggs.....(bout 4 dozen a day at our peak).....i DO NOT miss all the work. :hyst: Was just somethin' i got into for bout 4 and a half years, so i could learn more bout birds. We had one male and one female Ringneck, White Turkeys, Ducks, a bunch of Guineas and a big flock of laying hens and a dozen or so roosters. I may get some Guineas agan one day. My wife wanted fresh eggs........it soon got outta hand. :P mark..... B)