Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TimRussell

Ok Lets Try This Again!

Hey yall. I know I have posted this question before but it didnt work out cus I ended up getting a durn baitdunkin deal dry.gif laugh.gif So here goes one more try on this before I go trout fishin in June. I am going to need a new fly rod for fishing for trout, bream, and the occasional bass. Please keep in mind some of the bass in these ponds are HUGE! I have a Shakespeare 6WT Combo for bass so I was looking for something in the 3 or 4WT area for the trout and bream. I would like some info on good fly combos, backing, leader lines, and fly lines. Noise doesnt really bother me as long as it takes up and puts out line well. I appreciate the help once again. Thanks alot ttyl and tight lines.-Tim unsure.gif smile.gif

PS:I will be buying all of this at BPS in Hampton VA.

The threads "Picked up a new toy" and "5wt recommendations" here are good for consideration.

IMO, something in the moderate to moderate fast action area, 6'6" to 7'6", TFO is fantastic, St. Croix can't be beat, a picture which says try any and every one you can because no one will suit your casting style; coupled with a quality direct drive reel in your price range- doesn't matter if it's Okuma Sierra or Integrity, Ross, Galvan, Orvis, Redington- doesn't matter- it should have a reliable drag, adequate backing capacity, durability, all that garbage.

As far as lines go, a floater, intermediate and sinker for your water conditions- don't forget, you can use interchangeable head systems. I own Cortland and Airflo lines and am well pleased with them. I am impressed with some of the newer Monic and Rio offerings; goes without saying- every manufacturer has a complete line of product for everything.

Some kits seen recently out of stables like Scientific Anglers and Cortland may suit your needs- in this case I'd build a component outfit.

Your pocketbook is the key. Sorry it doesn't help much.

Hey yall. Thanks for the help. I forgot to mention I can prolly spend anywhere from 100-150 MAYBE 200 bucks on this cus Im gunna end up saving it up from work money and I still have to worry about a car. Thanks again. ttyl and tight lines.-Tim

Sign in to follow this