Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Andrewfly fishing

what reel for big bass

i know that the scientific anglers system 2 is really good compared to other quality drag systems it is cheap( $120 )

Are you talking about largemouth bass, striped bass or something else?

I fish primarily for largemouth bass and I get by just fine with Hobbs Creek reels from Bass Pro Shop. They go on special about every other month or so for around $40 bucks. I haven't had any trouble with mine, but mostly it just holds line. I use this reel on an eight weight and on a three weight rod and I like it a lot.

Hope this helps,

Terry

I love my Hobbs Creek Reels. Very nice smooth drag and good quality reel all the way around. Great price at 39.95 for the reel and 29.95 for spools. I have all three sizes and use them for everything from 2wt to 9wt.

I have 2 pflugers, trion 6wt and president 8wt. 70 for the trion 90 for the prez EXCELENT REELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use them for salmon steelhead large and smallmouth carp pike etc.......

What kind of real should I use on big bass. (reasonable price)

If you're talking largemouths, just about anything. Even a big one isn't going to go on any blistering runs. Expect a relatively short slugfest. Given the heavier tippets involved (I use 15.5 lb test), just about any disk drag reel should work fine. The majority of the time, you'll be stripping them in anyway without getting them on the reel.

-- Mike

Sign in to follow this