Fly Tying
Guest Big E

Best place to live?

Tullahoma, TN isn't too bad.I live alittle north .pros and cons ..close to the smokies and some nice tailwaters around.Jack daniels is close to Tullahoma.Get it right from the tap ,if you're into whiskey.

Guest Big E

pros and cons ..close to the smokies and some nice tailwaters around.Jack daniels is close

Those all sound like pros...what are the cons?

I wouldn't mind moving back to MI but it was depressed when I left some 20 years ago, nevermind now. Don't think I would be able to find a decent wage.

Why not move to New Brunswick or Newfoundland Canada where you can fish in some of the best rivers in the world for Atlantic salmon. As well as many fresh and saltwater species? Newfoundland is colder but there are 4 to 5 women to every man there.

Something to consider, I have also heard that all of the Canadian maritime provinces are going to group together. To allow guides to fish them all. A guides licence is fairly cheap and only needs a basic course. ($30.00 if I remember for a 2 week course.). Let me know if interested for more info. I have a lot on my plate right now but would like to get my guides licence this year.

Utah! That is where I am looking now.

I do not care where you are Michigan is F'ed! If I had a chance at selling my house with out loosing (My @$$) money I would and move in a split second!

I am trying to loose my a$$ right now so I can get out!

BFR

I am partial on this one but I absolutely love living in Colorado. The trout are abundant and the fishing is great. You are no less than an hour from anywhere decent.

Colorado

Gunnison

Arkansas

Animas

Roaring Fork

Frying Pan

Eagle

Rio Grande

White

Yampa

More creeks and streams than you can shake a stick at.

Boulder on the other hand is nicknamed The People's Republic of Boulder. They basically are on their own program and viewed throughout most of the state as renegades. At least on the political side of the spectrum.

Glenwood Springs was recently named the #1 fishing town in America. Close proximity to the Colorado, Roaring Fork, Frying Pan, and Crystal Rivers.

The biggest problem we have here is private land on either side of the rivers. There are many access points but private land is still an issue.

Here in Troy MT, a town of 1000, we have bull trout, brook trout, brown trout, cutthroat trout, rambow trout, Cut-bow(cutthroat rainbow hybrid), lake trout, whitefish, sturgon(havn't caught on on the fly.... yet :) ) Ling, pike, perch, Large mouth bass, pike, and a few others. Very close to the clarkfork, right on the kootnai. A few hours away from steelhead. To the west and east you have carp. An hour to the south is good smallie fishing. And we have fine hunting. Not too much private land. Tons of small mountain lakes full of bass, and all types of trout. Very affordable housing prices, some of the best in montana. We don't have too many jobs in troy, but in libby(15 minuite drive) there are much more jobs. What kind of job are you looking for?

Guest Big E

IT work. About the only thing I've found up near there JZ is some openings at Plum Creek in Columbia Falls. I've got my resume in there but so far haven't heard anything.

Without a doubt the absolute #1 fishing paradise in the U.S. is South Florida (notable exception being Alaska).

Tarpon

Snook

Redfish

Bonefish

Permit

Barracuda

Jack Crevalle

Dorado

Sailfish

Marlin

Tuna

Peacock Bass

Largemouth Bass

Bream

Oscars

Tilapia

Plus God knows how many other cool species.

If fishing was your only priority I think it would be foolish to not consider South Florida. No you don't have Trout or Steelhead, but when you're 45 minutes into a battle with a 150 pound Tarpon, a big Bonefish rips off 150 yards of backing, or you're hanging on for dear life when suddenly a pissed-off 30 pound Snook starts barreling straight towards the Mangrove Trees, do you really think that you'd care?

Plus seeing that you have Miami and Ft. Lauderdale both within a hop, skip, and a jump from each other, finding an IT job shouldn't be too tough. It might be a bit crowded down there in some areas but the smaller communities shouldn't be too bad, especially away from Miami. From about Ft. Lauderdale north to the South-Central coast should be better for you. It kinda sounds like you might be looking something a little slower paced than South Florida (slower paced than Miami at least), but I figured I'd throw this in as a food-for-thought thing.

If not South Florida, I'd say North Carolina. You have Trout galore, Smallmouth and all of the other warmwater species, and it's a short hop to the coast for some Striper, Tuna, False Albacore, and Redfish. East Tennessee would be up there too.

Here in Troy MT, a town of 1000, we have bull trout, brook trout, brown trout, cutthroat trout, rambow trout, Cut-bow(cutthroat rainbow hybrid), lake trout, whitefish, sturgon(havn't caught on on the fly.... yet :) ) Ling, pike, perch, Large mouth bass, pike, and a few others. Very close to the clarkfork, right on the kootnai. A few hours away from steelhead. To the west and east you have carp. An hour to the south is good smallie fishing. And we have fine hunting. Not too much private land. Tons of small mountain lakes full of bass, and all types of trout. Very affordable housing prices, some of the best in montana. We don't have too many jobs in troy, but in libby(15 minuite drive) there are much more jobs. What kind of job are you looking for?

No smallies! HEATHEANS!!!!! :angry:

I am trying to loose my a$$ right now so I can get out!

BFR

Good luck and god speed! I do not blame you a bit. We gained 25% more customers last year and made the same money! <_< Its sad what she has done to this state.

Burlington, Vermont. Don't do it, I have lived here all my life. Gone to hell. High property taxes, high state taxes. High prices for housing, and untilities. Jobs are disapearing. Dispite some stupid poll naming it the best city to live in the US. it sucks unless your rich. Bill C.

South Dakota! There are too many people everywhere else, there are Lots of feathers available for tying if you happen to be a wingshooter, Trout in the hills, Many Many unspoiled lakes for warmwater fishing, Tremendous opportunities for big game hunting, and the friendliest people I've ever met. I rue the day I left it!

Mid Western Oregon? (Corvallis, Eugene) Chinook, Coho, Searun Cutts, Steelhead, Kokanee, Rainbow, Browns, Brooks, Bass, Carp, Coastal Surf species, and many more all within an hour drive. Heavy fly fishing communities. Temperate weather temps, absolutely beautiful. It's the epicenter of the FFF's roots. No state sales tax.

Arkansas isn't bad. I live in the foothills of the Ozarks and it's a beautiful, peaceful place. Lots of great fishing and some really friendly folks, too.

Mike

Personally I dont think you will be able to find an anwser from anyone by asking that question, because we all think the state we live in is the best. Ethier because that's why we live in our state, or because we had no choice so we have made it our home and to us there's no beating it. I'd say Michigan, Maddog would say Arkansas, Kodiak Commando would say Alaska, Bud G would say Louisiana etc etc because that's where we live and love ;)

Only real way to get an honest idea of where you want to setting down is to take a little time and do a little traveling and see what each of the places your considering has to offer you. No matter where you end up I hope you enjoy it.

Steve

Lived in West TN for 18 years. No income tax. W. TN wasn't my favorite - too flat and too far from the mountains. Family is from Middle TN and I have always thought it was real pretty there. Never lived there, only visiting family on vacation over the years. (lots of years!!) It does get hot there in the summer.

If I am alowed to mention another forum, you might browse around on the South East Fly Fishing Forum for some local knowledge. I hope I did the linky thing right. Brother lives in N. GA (near Blue Ridge) and does fairly well trout fishing there.

I moved back to Florida from W. TN after I retired. Miami / Ft. Lauderdale are an acquired taste. I happen to like it but it is expensive and crowded but the fishing is good.