Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tompa

Pointers for SHAQ

:D Hello shaq and all of you other tube fans

First of all I'm glad having inspired someone, doesn't happen frequently you know.

You have got the main principles of templedog tying shaq, all you need now is some pointers and some quality materials.

Look for good good quality arctic and silver fox. If you'll only get it in natural colors, dye it yourself. Don't mind about dog, expensive and overrated. Use fox and unperfumed hairbalm instead.

And now some pointers.

FIRST OF ALL FORGET ABOUT FOLDING WINGS FRONT AND BACK. IF YOU WANT TO TIE WITH CONEHEADS USE AS LESS THREAD AS POSSIBLE AND USE A THIN THREAD SUCH AS BENECCHI12/0 OR GRIFFITH14/0.

BUILDING FAT BACKS WITH HIGH PROFILE DOESN´T GENERATE ANYTHING. THE SALMON CATCH THE FLY FROM BACKWARDS UNDERNEATH, AND THERE'S WHERE THE VOLUME AND PROFILE OF THE FLY SHOULD BE.THE END!!

1. Choose length of body and tie a tag and tail same length as body.

2. Divide the body into 2 parts. Rear part should be flatbraid of choosen color, front part use lite brite, fire star or ice dub, brush it out well with a homemade brush made of velcro and a popsicle stick.

3. Stay with the fat body hackles that you have used on your tubes posted, gives good volume

4. Under wing. Keep it 1/3 of the whole wing and as long as the tail.

5. Mid wing 2/3 longer than the underwing but just as thick.

6. Top wing. As thick as the under wing but as long as both under and mid wing together.

7. Front hackle. Use thick but rather stiff hackles such as front saddles or rfear neck hackles. They should be as long as the highest point of the wing.

8 Search my posts. I'm quite sure that I´ve posted a tutorial some time ago.

Keep tying templedogs and catch more fish

//Tompa

Here are som fair example of well tapered flies

post-1781-1204320955_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1204320970_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1204320985_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1204321005_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1204321025_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1204321047_thumb.jpg

post-1781-1204321070_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tompa! You are too kind. Your flies are inspiring! I think they are just the tickets for our spring steelhead heading back down the river feeding on salmon smolts. Your wings are fuller and I will try the techniques you say. I think my problems with the cones stem from too much thread. The only available for me is 8/0. I will search for recomendations.