Fly Tying
billb

( LAST CALL) Landlocked Salmon/Steelhead "Go-To Flies" Swap

UPDATE: SETS OF FLIES DISTRIBUTED -- THANKS FOR PARTICIPATING!

STEELHEAD FLIES WELCOME!

I’m back at the tying bench, ready to host my first swap of the season.

Something a little different this time! Let’s swap our favorite flies for landlocked salmon or steelhead: streamers, nymphs, wets, dries, classics, or just simple things that work. In a subsequent post I’ll share where and under what conditions I rely on my pattern, and encourage you to do the same.

We’ll go with the first 12 people to reply with “I’m in.” Tell us the pattern you’re tying and where you count on it (if you can’t bear to divulge a river name, give us a geographic area). I’ll regularly update this initial post with who has signed on with what, and whose flies I have received. Everybody will send in 12 flies and will receive one of their own and everybody else’s at the swap’s conclusion.

PARTICIPANTS, PATTERNS, and WATERS

1. billb: olive cone-head Crystal Wooly Bugger; landlocked salmon, Grand Lake Stream, Maine-----RECEIVED

2. RDL: Estaz Eggs; steelhead, Lake Superior-----RECEIVED

3. sukhoidave: Caddis Hornberg; landlocked salmon, Big Eddy, West Branch Penobscot River, Maine-----RECEIVED

4. tdeyette: Estaz Comet; steelhead, Salmon River, NY-----RECEIVED

5. MAWitter: black stonefly nymph/superior x legs hybrid; steelhead, Brule River, Wisconsin-----RECEIVED

6. Moushka: Marabou Darter variation, Southcentral Alaska-----RECEIVED

7. Addie: Black Ghost; landlocked salmon, Grand Lake Stream, Maine-----RECEIVED

8. the weekend fisher: Wooly Bugger; Manistee River, Michigan-----RECEIVED

I encourage folks who haven’t yet participated in swaps, including new tiers, to join us. This isn’t a competition, but an opportunity to have fun, learn from each other, share local knowledge, and help fill our fly boxes for the upcoming season.

The deadline for flies to reach me is April 19th. I’ll send my mailing address to participants in PMs (private messages) as we get closer to the deadline. In fairness to other folks, please don’t sign up if you aren’t sure you’ll be able to deliver your flies on time -- you can always catch another swap when you have more time. That said, life isn’t always predictable, so if you run into a problem and won’t be able to complete the swap, please just tell me in a PM. No hard feelings if anyone has to back out and has the courtesy to communicate with me about it as soon as possible.

If you’re unfamiliar with the standard FTF.com swap procedure (toe tags, return postage, and the like), look at the pinned topics at the top of the “Fly Swaps & Contests” page. If all your questions aren’t answered, post them in this thread (other tiers might be wondering the same thing) or send me a PM.

Let's have fun!

Bill

BillB,

Are you looking for salmon flies used for a "salmon run" or flies that may be used for trolling such as in a lake?

Tom

BillB,

Are you looking for salmon flies used for a "salmon run" or flies that may be used for trolling such as in a lake?

Tom

Tom: I originally was thinking of "casting flies," but if you'd like to come in with a trolling fly, please feel free!

Bill

Ok Bill, Just was wondering what type of fly you had in mind.

Casting fly it is:

I'll come in with an Estaz Comet, Salmon River NY

Tom

I'm back so im in. Brule River, Wisconsin. I will be tying a black stone fly nymph and a superior x legs hybrid. my own mix. new to fly tying and swaps so hopefully all goes well

MAWitter: Welcome! Always glad to have a new tier/swapper joining in. Are those two flies you're tying, or one?

tdeyette: Tom, is that a steelhead or landlocked salmon fly? The Estaz and location lead me to think steelhead, but I figured I'd check.

Bill

tdeyette: Tom, is that a steelhead or landlocked salmon fly? The Estaz and location lead me to think steelhead, but I figured I'd check.

Bill,

I use this fly to catch Coho and Chinook in the fall (spawning) run. Do you think it will work for the salmon in Maine? Perhapse you had ice-out type flies in mind?

Here is an image of the fly:

ESTAZ COMET

Tom

Bill,

I use this fly to catch Coho and Chinook in the fall (spawning) run. Do you think it will work for the salmon in Maine? Perhapse you had ice-out type flies in mind?

Here is an image of the fly:

ESTAZ COMET

Tom

Tom: Might work on our landlocks -- never tried pink on them! We use some marabou, as in the Wooly Buggers I'm tying for this swap, but I've not yet used Estaz for anything other than salt water flies. One of the things I like about swaps is that looking at what other folks tie and use helps get me out the rut of tying and fishing the same old things!

Bill