Fly Tying
netabrookie

Cheap Small Diameter Wire

Hello, I just thought that I would share one of my sources for small, and VERY small diameter copper wire. I have obtained quite an assortment of various colors and diameters of copper wire from used car parts. Relays, voltage regulators, and even some household appliances have some really neat little spools of wire in them. To me, a gold ribbed hares ear nymph looks good with the store bought spools in the medium size range, but when you go smaller, the wire looks out of proportion. On some of the little flies, the smaller diameter wire just seems to look better.(Thats just my personal opinion) Some of the relays have to be busted open to obtain the wire, so I would suggest that you wear safety glasses because when you clamp them in a vise or tap them with a hammer theres plastic schrapnel flying everywhere. Old speakers have very small coils in them also, but some of the wire is so small that its hard to work with without breaking it.

Earlier model vehicales are a good source, in the 60's and 70's. Sometimes its a waste of time. I took the voltage regulator off my '45 chevy P/U that I'm starting to build and found that you could wire a house with that wire because it was so big. Its like relic hunting, you don't always find what you are looking for, but when you do, its a good feeling. I hope this helps someone...

Take Care,

Thanks for the info. this is helpful because I too find the copper wire larger then what I want.

I appreciate the note! Now only to find some old stuff to break.......... another challenge

Phil

Computer ribbon cable (used to connect hard drives and floppy disks to the motherboard,) are a great source of 38 gauge silver colored wire for midges and reinforcing herl bodies. I salvage mine from out of service computers. I get larger wire for copper johns etc from multi stranded electrical cords and wireing. I also take the tiny wire and twist two three or 4 strands together to make different size wires.

I used to do this also because of the super fine wire I could find. Then I noticed that all my brassies and copper johns got dull really fast. The raw wire that comes out of motors oxidizes quickly, so if you tie a dozen flys to have in stock, you may find that they don't look so hot after a few months, especially if fished. If you tie (and loose) flies a bunch, it probably doesn't matter. I'm sort of anal when it comes to my flies looking nice, they give me more confidence. Now I just suck it up and buy the Ultra Wire. It's coated so the flies stay nice for a long time.

Nick

For flies that are either pure wire-bodies or wire over a non-fuzzy base (e.g. thread) a quick, thin coat of head cement will prevent oxidation and keep them looking bright.

For fuzzy, dubbed bodies, it's not so easy, but I guess you could pre-coat the wires if you were ambitious enough.

Your welcome Royal Wulff, and utyer, I am trying to get my hands on some of the silver wire from a computer. As far as tarnishing goes, one voltage regulator that I got wire from came from a late 60's Chevy and although it had a metal cover that had to be removed to obtain the wire, it was obvious that the cork gasket failed years ago because the base was corroded, but the wire was as shiny as any that I have purchased. The old car sat for about 5 years that I know of without a hood. Experience says a lot in my opinion, and N Parish might be right, but I do like the coating it after you wrap it trick. I try to be sure that any of my flies are dry after I fish them and before that I put them away, so maybe thats why that I haven't had a dulling or tarnish problem, but like I said, N Parish could be right?

Take Care,

Utyer, While you're grabbing the ribbon cables out of those computers don't forget to pull any chokes or transformers that are common in the power supplies. The wire will not be as fine as the ribbon cables but you'll have yards of it that will be great on any fly in about the 12 - 16 range (Average guage of between 28 - 32)

Happy Hunting :)

The wire from any of the electrical coils- relay coils, speaker coils, transformer coils, IS coated with a very thin layer of (usually) flexible varnish. If it wasn't coated, each wrap would make electrical contact with each other, and the coil wouldn't be a coil, it would just be a hunk of metal.

:lol: I thought I was being crafty by stripping regular old speaker wire to get my copper and silver wires cheap... I guess there is not going to be much that someone has'nt thought of before :lol:

bought some dk blue ultra wire...... this stuff is crazy! I clip off a few inches at a time so I can tie several flies. Don't set this stuff down, it will dissapear! Perfect for 18's and smaller, and considering how many flies can be tied from one spool, a buck and a half isn't a bad investment. Get some in silver, and complete your 'Sharpie' collection! :headbang:

Found some more fine , and I do mean "fine" wire at the dollar store today. It's called "beading wire", comes in 12 m roll and is really tiny stuff. Only prob I see with it is the color selection: red, blue, green, and gold. I guess that really is the only colors ya need anyway huh?

"Beading wire" - same thing here, dirt cheap at the dollar store, has the right colors and quantities. Probably have enough now to last for years. :)

Utyer, While you're grabbing the ribbon cables out of those computers don't forget to pull any chokes or transformers that are common in the power supplies. The wire will not be as fine as the ribbon cables but you'll have yards of it that will be great on any fly in about the 12 - 16 range (Average guage of between 28 - 32)

Happy Hunting :)

Be very very careful when opening a power supply and don't even think about it if you don't know what you are doing. I have seen power supply capacitors hold a charge for months.

I do know what I'm doing and I will not open a psu.

Not to worry, I too know computers, and would never think of opening a power supply. I have a pound of 38 gauge copper, that should last the rest of my life. But fine silver colored wire isn't as common.

I've also gotten loads of beading wire from the craft stores. The only problen is that it's stiffer than other wire and tying small flies (#16 and under) with it is tough. That's when I switch back to ultra wire.