Fly Tying
Houdini

Snakeheads in the Potomac

I don't know if anyone had mentioned it, but there have been three new discoveries of Northern Snakeheads in the Potomac River system.

This is extremely serious. Previous discoveries in the area, unrelated to the new discoveries, have been treated by, in the first and second instances, draining the ponds in which they were found and poisioning them. They are very voracious, breed prolifically and can "walk" on land - their skin does not dry out.

They are a Chinese import and are frequently for sale in Oriental markets - live! They are considered a delicacy.

See the link below for the latest development.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a...head_invasion_1

Man that is seriously bad news. People adding non-native fish to waters are really screwing things up. Just like the lake trout in Yellowstone. Bad news.

QUOTE (lanvaettir @ May 17 2004, 05:50 PM)
Man that is seriously bad news. People adding non-native fish to waters are really screwing things up. Just like the lake trout in Yellowstone. Bad news.

lake trout in yellowstone... btw why dont the guys just figure out what bait to use for them and just overfish them causing them to die out.

easy answer: there isn't money on it.... the only times we've erradicated things in mother nature is when there is money to be made (ie bounties, or business possibilities).

steve

Seems to me I read an article last year on this. I believe it indicated that ponds along the Missippi River had them and as the water rose, they made it to the Missippi.

I have a 180 gallon aquarium and use to have one. They are quite popular in our pet stores here. Mine grew at a rapid rate and ate/killed most of my fish. It grew to over 20" in just 4 months and quickly became fertilizer....

Steve, talking about importing things, what do you think about those pesky lady bug look alike beetles....they were brought in to take care of some type of aphyd....

Marc

a few of us may be familiar with these things through our 'travels' to other lands- I just read that article and if the MD DMR guy thinks the small number found in the river so far is little fuel for concern, he's got a very rude awakening ahead of him.

I have been reading alot lately about the "exotics" that are showing up in different river systems throughout our country. I am positive there are not enough resources (ie:money, supplied by our government) to educate and prevent things like this from happening. If you sit back and think about all of our tax money being wasted on stupid programs its got to make you sick. There has to be a better way for we sportsman to wake these politicians up. I live in Illinois and our DNR budget is a joke, the state parks are in shambles and I can't remember the last time I saw a conservation officer. I keep reading its not in the budget. I assume other states have the same problems. I would not mind paying more for a liscense if I knew the money would be spent wisely, in fact I encourage it. I don't think that being a member of TU, ISA and volunteering for river cleanups once a year is enough for the typical sportsman. I am not much of a treehugger but flyfishing and having a family has opened my eyes to alot of things most people take for granted. No I don't have the answers but there has to be a better way!

I wonder if they should regulate the types of fish that can be purchased for home aquariums. If people are turning their fish lose, this can lead to huge ecological problems. Whole bodies of water would be lost to solve the problem of illegally introduced fish.

odessa, they already do, depending on where you live. Snakeheads are now illegal to own in Michigan, along with quite a few other fish.

steve

I think people who release exotics should be severely punished! I've owned Snakeheads and think that they are awesome as pets. Irresponsible people who release stuff like that are gonna ruin it for responsible pet owners everywhere!

More on Snakeheads:

As pets

In the wild

Fishing for them

A traditional use for Snakeheads

Yum!

I posted this info on Riversmallies, so it may look familiar.

QUOTE (JackG @ May 17 2004, 04:11 PM)
lake trout in yellowstone... btw why dont the guys just figure out what bait to use for them and just overfish them causing them to die out.

I wish there was a way to "overfish" the lake trout in Yellowstone lake. They are destroying the lake ecosystem by eating all of the native trout. Lake trout don't leave the lake like the cuts so an important food source for all of the animals along river is endangered as well. Just because some turkey wanted to play diety.