Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Onshore

Gormet What ???

Man Becomes Ill After Gorging on Cicadas

By Associated Press

May 18, 2004, 11:58 AM EDT

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- A man who cooked and ate nearly 30 cicadas sought medical treatment after suffering a strong allergic reaction to the sauteed insects.

The man showed up at a Bloomington clinic Thursday covered from head-to-toe in hives, and sheepishly told a doctor he'd caught and ate the cicadas after sauteing them in butter with crushed garlic and basil.

"He said they didn't taste too bad, but his wife didn't care for the aroma," said Dr. Al Ripani, the doctor who treated the man at Promptcare East.

The man, who has a history of asthma and shellfish allergies, suffered a "significant allergic reaction," after eating the cicadas, Ripani said.

He said he gave the man antihistamines, steroids and a shot of adrenaline, then observed him for two hours before sending him home.

After living underground for 17 years and feeding on tree roots, the so-called Brood X cicadas are emerging by the billions across the Eastern U.S.

Ripani said recent newspaper articles extolling the tastiness of cicada cuisine should have warned people that dining on the bugs can be dangerous for some people.

"Severe food allergies such as this can be fatal," he said. "I feel that needs to be stressed in these articles."

He said the University of Maryland's department of entomology's Cicada-licious cookbook, which includes recipes for Cicada Stir-Fry and Cicada Dumplings, contains a disclaimer urging people to consult a doctor before eating cicadas.

"We ask that you please take special caution if you have other food allergies, such as soy, nuts or shellfish, or if you know of any contact allergies that you may have to other insects," it states.

* __

On the Net:

Cicada-licious: Cooking and Enjoying Periodical Cicadas: www.urhome.umd.edu/newsdesk/pdf/cicada%20recipes.PDF

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

They are hatching by the thousands near me maybe I should open a fast food resturant I could it CLEM CADIDDLEHOPPERS CICADA HOUSE...........serve the Buggers every which way..... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I saw on TV (BBC) that they had a guy over in england (i think, would make sense given the station) eatin em (looked like sauteed with breadcrumbs or something). Gross!

said they were a delicacy. I say that guy is loony!

steve

they are considered a delicacy, even in the us. fried with some garlic, great when you are that campin trip...mmmm

Not that far off the mark here, other then the allergy. bugs are known the world over as a protein staple. I would prefer mine done tai with peanut sauce over rice noodles. biggrin.gif

I had Some cookies with an extra special ingredient but it sure wasnt cicada wink.gif

I finaly got to see these things the other day and the whole woods around me sounded like an industrial wood chipper. the damn bugs were hitting my windshield so hard that I thought that they were going to come through and tha windshield wipers on my work truck have no pushing power to clear the glass even with lots of fluids wallbash.gif wallbash.gif