Fly Tying
mswaterfowler

San Juan Worm Ball

I used to be of the No San Juan club, largely due to the connections with "earth wormin" until I started seeing the number of aquatic worms in our tailwater system.

Definately part of the trout diet and not just something washed in after rain.

Sometime pays to keep an open mind on these things, but as always you make your own rules and how you like to fly fish.

Unfortunately ,I've never caught a fish on a San Juan Worm but, I've caught many on green ,olive and red Liquid Lace Bloodworms, Acetate Blood worm patterns, and Glass worm patterns when nothing else would seem to work. Aquatic worms are an important source for foraging trout . especially, if you're a Chironomid fisher. These are the larval stage of many Chironomid species. I personally think (right or wrong) that synthetic's are sometimes a far superior product to use when tying and that those that refuse to see their attributes are living in the world of the dinosaurs... But, to each their own. like I said right or wrong, they work for me. I was taught to tye by a Fur and Feather guy but, saw the attributes early. Kind of like evolving from the

Model T , aren't we glad we did that?

Not fish San Juan worms... ya' mus be crazy! MY kids have caught (and released) hundreds of trout on SJW's.

Be carefull as to how "snobish" that you're gunna' be...

Do they fish nymphs?

Do they only fish dries... upstream?

Do they wade in the stream or only fish from the bank?

Do they only fish to rising trout?

Do they use synthetics?

In the end, don't ya' love the fly fishing snobs...

Problem is so few of them fly fish in the marsh or salt...

Bowfin47

Kind of like evolving from the Model T , aren't we glad we did that?

Now if only we could evolve from the gas-powered engine, LOL.

Trout opener is just 8 DAYS away! I hope most of the snow is gone by next Friday for Saturday's big moment, and with temps in the 50s this and next week - it should be! I am hoping for my first brookie! (Just moved to NE MN...so its all soooo new and exciting!)

Here is a variant of a San Juan Worm Ball. Looks like a controversial topic. Have used it to catch Catfish in the local pond which is catch and release only. There is a canal that runs from an upper pond to lower pond. When it rains, Catfish some times get trapped in the canal until the next big rains come or some one catches them and releases them into the ponds. If anyone is interested, I can post in the Step By Step section on how I tie one.

8834230_f260.jpg