Fly Tying
rebelred

panfish patterns

I'm wanting to branch out and try tying some panfish and bass patterns. There are so many that I don't know where to begin. I would like to start with something that is relatively easy to tie and gradually work my way up to the more complex patterns. What is ya'lls opinion of a few good starting patterns which will fish well?

i catch more gills on this fly than i have on any other fly, reletively the same pattern the first one is called an orange asher wich is mad up of a size 10 nymph hook or smaller, orange floss, and grizzley saddle hackle. the other one is the same thing but with red floss and black saddle hackle i catch the most on the red one. it is called a bloody butcher.

post-4850-1206502236_thumb.jpg

Also you can never go wrong with a foam spider! You can buy premade bodies or cut your own (cheaper). Just add some rubber legs and tie on the body or vice versa.

This one is my favorite, tied in various colors

Hook: 2X long nymph/wet 8-18

Thread:Danvilles 6/0

Tail:2 Saddle hackle tips

Body: Dubbing, I use Ice or squirrel dubbing, but use any you like

Hackle:Grizzly saddle

Rib:Fine Silver wire

Head: gold or copper bead head

post-10630-1206572354_thumb.jpg

It seems to me there was some really good author who wrote that article....hmmm.... :hyst:

check out some of the bluegill swaps also, there's some good patterns in those, as well, and I'm sure that those who participated would be happy to share the recipies.

xavier I really like that pattern best of all only thing I don't have to tie it is the bead head. Looks like I need to make a trip to Great Outdoor Provision.

I tie a very simple beetle pattern. On a small dry fly hook tie on a strip of closed cell foam to the back of the shank. Dub an underbody of black dubbing, then pull the foam over the dubbing to form the back of the beetle. Add some rubber legs to the sides and a strike indicator on top if you like and there you go. Pretty simple. PM me if you'd like pictures or a recipe.

#12 or #14 nymph hook, and peacock ice-dub. little tuft of the ice dub for a tail, tapered body, and picked-out fibers for "legs".... one material fly and the panfish can not leave it alone. Don't weight it, just let it slowly sink and move it in one-inch or so twitches. Make some in pearl, and chartreuse too. Super easy, super good.

Although I haven't used this yet, others claim to have done quite well with it and as far as simple goes, hard to beat a hook, bead, and 3 inch piece of yarn.

IPB Image