Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Lake Erie Shiner (Tube Fly)

Here is an article I wrote showing the detailed tying instructions for my Lake Erie Shiner tube fly pattern. I was tying a bunch of these up this weekend and figured I'd create a new article while I was at it. Hope someone finds this helpful.

post-4573-1206849105_thumb.jpg

LAKE ERIE SHINER (Tube Fly)

Lake_Erie_Shine__Tube_Fly_.pdf

EDIT - Here is a short-cut to my original fly posting:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...t=0#entry300541

I like it!!!! Gonna have to keep this one in mind for when I finally get myself a tube vice!! Hopefully wont be too long!

Nice patern! And great step by step!!

Mike

please excuse my beginner's questions here, but what exactly is "Flash'N Slinky" ? and the Flexicord, this similar to a mylar tubing ?

I like these tube flies, I've been looking at tying some small jigs with mylar tubing myself, to create a minnow imitation, and these look very close to what I've looking too do. I just learning to tie so these may sound like very lame questions :blink:

thx's

Mike

Mike - The "Flash'N Slinky" is simply a synthetic wing material. There are lots of different ones on the market (Super Hair, Unique Hair, DNA Frosty Fish Fish Fibers, DNA Holo Chromosome, DNA Holo Fusion, EP Fibers, etc., etc. etc., the list seems endless these days). Any of these materials will work for the wing of these tube flies. Just use whatever you have on hand and what ever gives you the results you want. I used the "Flash'N Slinky" since I had it and liked the look of it.

The Flexicord is similar to mylar tubing, but it is also made with monofiliment woven between the strands of mylar. It seems a little tougher (more durable) than mylar tubing, but I haven't tested that. I like the look of the Flexicord after it is coated with epoxy. I mylar tubing may work if you used the pearl version (that way the colors of the fly body can show through.

Actually, I made up one version last weekend with out any Flexicord (I ran out) and the pattern came out just fine. The epoxy holds the wing/body shape and the body is clearly visible through the epoxy.

Hope this helps. :)

thanks Ray, that helps a lot. still have a lot to learn about the various tying materials and their usage. but thanks to people like yourself, I pick up a lot of good information. thanks again for taking time to explain :)

Mike

Yes, they are tyed to imitate Lake Erie Emerald Shinners. I recommend a silver body and the addition of a little lavender Krystal Flash into the wing to get really close to the emerald shiners. I posted another pattern in the database called a "Buckeye Shiner" that is also intended to closely imitate the emerald shiner. If you look up the pattern in the database and look at the extra photos I posted, you can see a real emerald shiner for comparision.

Shortcut Link to Buckeye Shiner Pattern

Your right about this working on steelhead too... :D ;)

I've had good luck with this pattern for steelies and smallmouth bass. :yahoo:

I really like this one Ray. I'll bet they'll work well on flounders down here as well as reds.

Miked, don't wait on a tube vise, cut the eye and barb off a large streamer hook and secure in your vise. Slide your tube on and your ready to go.