Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bowfin47

"Cap Spiders" and seeking videos of Michael Verduin and Tom

The late Michael Verduin was a marvelous, innovate tyer and a good friend. One of his favorite patterns for fly fishing for bream was a micro jig called a "Cap Spider". Many tyers from across Texas and the rest of the Mid-South learned a great deal from Michael, and he is greatly missed.

A video of Michael tying a "Cap Spider" and explaining how he fished this pattern can be found on You Tube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzZekzILGRI

I hope that you enjoy the video.

In addition, I am part of a group of tyers who regularly tied with both Michael Verduin and with the late great warmwater tyer, Tom Nixon. We are seeking videos of these tyers.

Our goal is not necessarily to create a "commercial" venture, but rather to hobble together home video's into DVD’s of our two late friends for us, their families, their friends, and our children.

We have some luck in this search but are still looking of any other home videos of either of these tyers. If you have a video of either Michael Verduin or Tom Nixon that you are willing to share and would like to be a part of this project, please contact me.

Thanks,

Bowfin47

Bowfin,

I'm the source of the YouTube video. In addition to that, I have the Catalpa Worm, W.T. Dragon, and caterpillar. I've held these pretty tight since they may be the only videos of Michael tying and I've never gotten permission from his widow to do anything with them. I know other videos were made, but they seem to be unavailable/lost. The Dallas FF are supposed to have a VHS of the flies as well as the Pineywoods FF.

TxEngr

Bowfin thanks for posting the link.It 's a shame so many great stories were also lost with these two gone.

By the way, I will be attending the AF this weekend in Laf. Will see you there.

Fred

TxEngr,

I'm working on this project with with Diane Blair and Bill Heugle (both of whom you know well). Sue S. is looking for a possible treasure trove of tapes of Michael, and Buster W. is sending me a one hour tape of Tom Nixon. We have already located a couple of other tapes of both, and we hope to start work on a DVD later this year.

As you can see, like you, we're all Rendezvousers, that is tyers who regularly attend the North Toledo Bend Rendezvous, who are hoping to archive a few moments of our old friends, Tom Nixon and Michael Verduin. Besides, it will be great to be able to offer these clips to the Verduins and Nixons.

By the way, Buddy, I already have a copy of your marvelous DVD of Michael tying. When I received it, I limited my self to just watching Michael tie one fly per day of viewing. Both Ian and I have watched it may times. I am so glad that you captured those moments for us all.

Fred... I'll be at Acadiana Day in Lafayette, LA on Sat. Let's sit down and tie up thos grass shrimp for the swap and maybe a few other of my patterns from the FFF FlyBox. But do bring a rod because Master Caster Jay Clark will be amoung the FFF Certified Casting Instructors and FFF Master Casting Instructors at this event, and Jay is an amazing instructor (and a really nice guy).

Info on the Acadian Fly Rodders Acadiana Day can be found at: http://www.laflyfish.com/clubs/afr/AFR_Sem...Brochure_07.pdf

Kyle

Kyle,

I hope to be at Spring Rendezvous this year. If you're there, we'll talk more. I could kick myself for passing up an opportunity to video Tom Nixon when he was in Lufkin. Opportunities lost..........

Yes, I've talked to Diane about the project so I'll gladly participate - especially since we've found some Tom Nixon stuff. Maybe there's a few other videos out there yet undiscovered!

Buddy (a.k.a. TxEngr)