Fly Tying

Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle

Trout flies are evil bs.gif

On my last trip to the local tailwater the water was low and clear. All I had was some size 12's that performed great the weekend before when the water was up a bit. Needless to say we got skunked for the day and I'm guessing that I needed to scale things down a bit. For this weekend I will have some size 16's and these flies are the smallest that I have ever tied. I have messed around with 16's before but never tied anything that I was planning on fishing, so I'm hoping they will do the trick because I was all thumbs trying to tie these guys.

All I can say it's a helluva lot easier to tie on a size 1 hook. My hat goes off to you trout guys who tie smaller than this regularly.

This is one of the flies I did, a Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle and used a tungsten bead. I have never used tungsten beads before and hope that get me down to where I need to be.

Any suggestions on the fly would be greatly appreciated, be honest I can handle a little critisism wink.gif

user posted image

Not bad at all .......for a bass fisherman wink.gif

Keep it up we'll make a troutnut out of you yet bud!

Dont forget to drop down on your tippet size and keep the approch to a minimum for low&clear trout will ....wade slow and keep shadows down and low profile and such. Trout can be very spooky in those conditions.

SD

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ May 20 2004, 10:52 PM)
Not bad at all .......for a bass fisherman wink.gif

Keep it up we'll make a troutnut out of you yet bud!

Oh, the abuse we Smallmouth fisherman have to put up with. That is a very good looking fly.

Will, you did not specifically say. Are you going to be throwing these tiny flies at Trout or at Smallies? Just because it is a small fly does not mean it can't catch a big fish. When I first read your posting, I assumed you were using the small flies to try and catch Smallies. Did I miss something.

Have you gone over to the Dark side? smile.gif Or should I say "Rainbow side" or "Brown side" or "Brookie side"? smile.gif j_k.gif

More later,

Ken S.

Ken,

All of the Smallmouth streams are blown out with high water right now. This year I started fishing a tailwater which usually remains low and clear depite all the other rivers. The only problem is most of the fish are Trout mad.gif .

I couldn't imagine using a size 16 for Smallmouth ohmy.gif , the smallest I usually go is a size 4.

Looks good from a fellow bass fisherman. Now that your tying "small" stuff you ready to challenge the trout guys to a size 32 tying contest? Now I tie them using starling for the soft hackle. Another suggestion, leave yourself a bit of wiggle room wih the bead head. After you've tied in your soft hackle, push the bead back over the thread. I'll bring the thread over the bead and make a couple of wraps in front of the bead with the thread before finishing. A bit of Zap-a-Gap and it's not moving anywhere. And yes, it is possible to catch a smallie on a size 16. May not be a wall hanger but it can be done.

Philly,

I hope somebody smacks me around if I even consider buying a size 32 hook bugeyes.gif

I have never tried bring the thread in front of the bead to tie it off? Is that something you just do for smaller flies or all your bead heads?

SH ... Good Job! Size 16 is kind of big though j_k.gif . If you come out here to New Mexico and fish the San Juan you'll be singing the praises of size 24-28 flies in no time. Who knows, you might give in to the tailwater fever and start tying size 32 fuzzballs for your next trip!

Looks great Will! That's a standard on trout streams around here, and Smallmouth will hit it, even as that size.

Will,

For tying #16's that is not bad. wink.gif They can be rather frustrating at times though.

I have just started tying #18's PT in the case that my #16's are too large. I do have a lot of fun tying them and using them. I love seeing people's expression when they ask me what I catch my Trout with and I show them. It is always good for a laugh.

Keep up the Good Work. As you know, it gets easier the more you tie them.

(NOT blink.gif )

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ May 21 2004, 09:23 AM)
Ken,

All of the Smallmouth streams are blown out with high water right now. This year I started fishing a tailwater which usually remains low and clear depite all the other rivers. The only problem is most of the fish are Trout mad.gif .

I couldn't imagine using a size 16 for Smallmouth ohmy.gif , the smallest I usually go is a size 4.

Why don't you just change your name to BassSnob and get it over with! dry.gif

Dave,

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against trout, they are a decent alternative with the Smallmouth waters are not right. I get more than my fair share of ribbing over my "stinky bass", so I like to throw in a jab whenever the opportunity presents itself biggrin.gif

Thats a good fly will

Looks like it will do what it's designed for & should take a bit of battering, sweet

Roy