Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Another dentist/tying tool

My wife is a dental hygientist, and she has access to some pretty interesting (and painful looking) tools. :unsure:

Ask you dentist for an old "articulated paper holder". It's a kind of long nose tweezer used for holding a very thin piece of paper to check your bite.

It has jaws about 1 1/2" long that close the full length, and stay closed when you let go. Kinda like the English hackle pliers. Great for holding and trimming material like feathers and placing them in a dubbing loop.

Next time you're at the dentist office, take a good look at the instrument tray while you're sitting there waiting for him, you might come up with a few ideas.

one of my favorite tools is a crescent shaped scaler.Chase your wife should have these.Its great for so many things but its best for adding head cement or epoxy at difficult angles . by dipping the blde into the material you can control how much and where the material goes.

The last show I was at a tyer had a dentist tool that was very thin sturdy wire with micro barbs on it. When you touched it, it felt sticky. they said it was used during root canals. I've been trying to find some as it was amazing as a dubbing brush.

Old Hat,

The tool you describe sounds downright painful for it's intended purpose. However, as a dubbing brush it sounds fantastic!

Old Hat - the tool you describe comes in 3 sizes. I've been using the largest size as a dubbing teaser for years. Next time you get a root canal ask for the one he used on you. He will probably give you a couple of new ones.

I put a small wooden dowell handle on mine.

Old dental pics (you know, scrape-scrape-scrape) make good teasers also, and they come in many types.

Been wanting to experiment with the different epoxies used in the office, but haven't yet.

Next time you get a root canal ask for the one he used on you. He will probably give you a couple of new ones.

What a great deal, I'm signing up for a root canal today, so I can get my free dubbing brush! :hyst:

In all honesty, I think I'll stick with my velcro dubbing brush and pass on the root canal!

In all honesty, I think I'll stick with my velcro dubbing brush and pass on the root canal!

I'm with stevemcn on this one - velcro may not work as good, but the other tool would

give me 'fingernails on a chalkboard' every time I used it !!!

Next time you get a root canal ask for the one he used on you. He will probably give you a couple of new ones.

What a great deal, I'm signing up for a root canal today, so I can get my free dubbing brush! :hyst:

Good God!!! I actually have a couple of those in my old tying tool box, from the root canal twenty some years ago- which is causing so much pain and $$$ right now!!! I distinctly remember the dentist, who knew me, saying "these look like they might be useful for your fly tying- want a couple?"

:crying: :sick: I gotta go find them and thow them away RIGHT NOW!

thanks for the friggin' memories :blink: