Fly Tying
oatka

Guys, Flies & Pies April 26th: Review

This month Guys, Flies & Pies turns 1 year old.

We had a small group tonight, 5 guys. We had 2 of us year long members, and 3 new guys. One new guy was Thomas Trouerbach (new to the forums) join us and he picked up things quickly. He just started tying this week and hasn't gotten much more than a few hooks and a vise. So, we showed him tonight how to use a bobbin and some scissors!

We tied up a mix of flies since we had beginners. Wooley bugger was first, then a pheasant tail, a hare's ear, and then a streamer thing.

Didn't get many pictures, but here they are, even the fuzzy streamer box.

A little more rain and we would have been casting into the street! It poured!

post-6177-1209260883_thumb.jpg

So much for "auto focus"!

post-6177-1209260930_thumb.jpg

3 guys, a few flies, no pies? (they are on the other table)

post-6177-1209260993_thumb.jpg

Another shot, missing me (the camera man) and Zach who took off at this point!

post-6177-1209261070_thumb.jpg

Overall it was another great night of tying flies. Although, it was a bit of a challenge for me being the instructor and trying to take care of my 3 youngest kids. I'd say "wrap this like this...crap, TYLER...WHAT ARE YOU GETTING INTO" then, get up and get him out of my other tying materials. I found that kid with scissors TWICE tonight....he's only 15 months old. Neither pair where mine.

I wish i could move there. Nice country and great fishing.If a housing boom happens i'll be there.

I would rather have rain. just a little bit from my house, there is 13 feet of .... snow :wallbash:

looks like fun.

Brent, I don't know how the housing is here, but I think the news (nationally) is saying housing prices are down. I found a house today for sale just 2 blocks from me! Put in an offer, and move! :D

Snow....don't say that word JZ. we finally melted ours a few weeks ago. The rain was just so much so quick, the streets got flooded pretty well!

It was very nice to meet Mike, Craig , Shawn(sp? as it can be spelled different) Zach. I had a blast and can not wait for the next one. I was taught how to tie a stone wich did not come out to great, did a little saun jaun worm, a nymph with bead , a small streamer and and a... Wooly bugger oh also a hairs nymph. Agian thanks Mike for the great time.

Sounds like a good time Mike. Hopefully I should be able to make the May GFP if I get my turkeys by then!

sorry i missed it.

i was at the shop getting one of these fancy reels fitted on the new boo rod. ;) actually the guy that makes them just happened to be in the shop with one while i was there so he let me throw it on just to see what it would look like. i would have to win the lottery twice before you saw one hanging off one of my rods.

get_attachment.aspx.jpg

I hope to see you next month 2. We might go fishing instead of tying, I still have to decide.

Yeah, those reels are EXPENSIVE! i just stumbled upon his site yesterday and was amazed at the price. I would have to win the lottery at least twice too before even considering one.

You got a bamboo rod? Bring that next time you come over! I'd like to see it!