Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Frank G. Swarner III

Sqimpish inspired flies

The DN stands for Dave Nelson for starters.....I missed you at the symposium (my fault) but it was nice to meet you at the Fly Fishing Show!!! Thank you for the pre-peeled materials from your stock along with your so called "practice fly". When I got home and scrutinized it some more, the juxtapositoning of some of the materials really bring the fly to life, like where you positioned the amherst tail fibers :headbang:

The hackles are very interesting to work with and open up some new doors in our realm. I got a little bulky with 2 of them, but it was a good learning experience, plus it gave me some ideas for other spey/dee type flies. Thanks Buddy :ph34r:

The Squiddidle has Temmincks tragopan feathers for the sides. I tried using two different colored feathers for the wings and kept one set long and one short....

Mr. Bombastic was a lot of fun to tie......don't know if it will fish well, but what the heck.

Sly Shrimp......well I tried to think a little different with this one since the first two will make a good sound footprint in the water. Some of the ostrich feathers you gave me had the tips bare of fibers, but maybe an inch or two at the base looked like regular ostrich. I stripped off a few and tied the longer ones in by the butt for the longer legs and tied the shorted legs in by the tip to give them the fuzzy motion look. The neat thing about the shorter ones is when they are peeled one at a time it gives them a natural curled look like a little claw......would probably look good on crayfish too.

Hope you enjoy and thanks again Dave for being so kind and generous. I hope everything is going well with your restaraunt!!

Frank

post-609-1209772902_thumb.jpg

post-609-1209772922_thumb.jpg

post-609-1209772935_thumb.jpg

Hi Frank,

Way cool flies, I especially like the DN Squiddidle,

I want to fish it here in the Pac.N.W. I'm trying to think

of a way to convince you to post a few so I can bootleg your

dressing and maybe tie some up on waddingtons with a stinger hook !!!!!!!!!!!

That fly is SCREAMING " FISH ME" all over it !!!!

Cheers, Speyman

Hi Frank;

nice set of flies, the Orange one would have fish written all over it on my river!

Howard

All great!!! Really like #3 I reckon that one would be a real fish taker.It`s a bit deceptive till you have a good look at it

Bob

Frank, i sure hope David see this post..........he's an amazing individuall..........very unique. As are his flies. I'm hoping his resturantis a totall success.

You've done a great job with these flies. I've seen dozens of his flies, live, up close and in person.....and you got the concept down.

I practically begged him to coome and tye with us at the CJ'08..........but alas...........his resturant has to take precedent. Maybe next year. For this year you can show a few how to do the flies perhaps. Myself included. While i have had the chance to meet him more than once and tye opposite (same shows) him, i never really had the time to watch him for any length of time. Course the same situation will be happening at the CJ'08.

Maybe we can get together over at my house a day or two before the show or after it's over. Bud is sposed to be commin' over to do some tyin' a day or two before the show. If i remember right, you did say you wouldn't be able to get to town early??????? What about stayin' over a day or two? mark..... ;)

More great flies Frank!

I can't get to CJ08 early, butdon't have to leave until lunch on Monday...little extra fishing and tying ;)

I'll be up on Wednesday June 4th....heading out on Sunday.

I was hoping to get together with you Wed and Thurs. if possible Mark.....get a little fishing and tying in before the show.

Sweet Ties and you definately have the style down! His flies truly are inspiring and he is a generous tyer.

Fish n Chips...I am honored and impressed..i was like hey....I could have tyed those.....

To the crew...thanks so much for your amazing support and love...

The delays in restaurant opening have afforded me (in addition to the local Carp fishing) a few trips getting my ass kicked by the wind on the branches of the Delaware...hurts so good.....though dont know why I bother w/ the lower east and upper main as I have found myself each trip tucked into a flat on the upper east @ dusk w/decent results....

Ill keep y'all informed as to restaurant progress

Much Love

DAvid Nelson