Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Will Milne

Hatch Chart critique

Hi

Some years ago I did a hatch chart for Southern Manitoba Canada. Recently, I was inspired by some very helpfull and generous input from Roger Rohrbeck ( Taxon) at http://www.flyfishingentomology.com to take a second look and correct some very serious errors.

Here is a rough draft of the revised Chart/s . I was curious if anyone had suggestions for improvements re- style/layout/info depth etc. before I finalize the spell checking. Or even more generously, any sources or data to fill in some of the blanks. What additions might be usefull as fly fishers using such a document?

http://www.watersidemb.ca/Hatch%20Chart%20V4.pdf

Will

Hi Will

Just at a glance. Is there a reason for April since there is no information in this column? I understand that temps drive emergance. In some of the Hatch Charts I have seen they put in an estimated time if emergance which is helpful. In another Hatch chart they give basic color of the insect and possible flies that will match the hatch as suggestions.

Hope that helps

It's an awesome hatch chart and the stuff like temps and breaking it down in river versa pond I thought was great. Really good and imformative. Want to come out and add some of your stuff to out hatch charts? :D

Lynn

Hi Lynn

Thanks for the suggestions , I will see how I might work those in.

We usually have very little open water in April - consequently little hatching other than Winter Stones and the odd Caddis.

Will

Also in much of Canada, Trout don't open until the last sat in Apr so people dont pay much attention to Hatches until May.

We still have several feet of ice on some of our water :D I understand totally.

If there isn't much I would save the column for other information. I do have a copy

of a hatch chart with the information I suggested if that will help?

Hi Lynn

Yep- agreed the April column should go , except where it is relavent. If you have a chart I would love to see it

thanks

Will