Fly Tying
letumgo

Buckeye Shiner (Notropis atherinoides/Emerald Shiner)

wow!!! now that is a great pattern nice Flies!!! :D B)

tyrite (Glen Dayton)

Thanks Meryl. :)

I designed this pattern to imitate the emerald shiners in our local creeks (Lake Erie tribs). I accidentally hooked one on a back case a couple weeks ago and got took some photos of the shiner for reference when I was tying. This is what I came up with. The name should probably be "emerald shiner" but I didn't want to cause confusion with other patterns already called that. Apparently the emerald shiner is sometimes called a buckeye shiner, so that is the source of the name.

As for the color scheme, the shiner I hooked had a prominent yellow streak along its side (thus the strands of yellow krystal flash) and it had a distinct lavender hue along the sides (I used UV Tan Krystal Flash to capture the color of the sides). The top and back had a iridescent green coloration (thus the strands of peacock herl). The eyes of the shiner are bright silver with large black pupils. I decided to use white tying thread and paint it silver before painting the pupils and finishing the head.

I put a fair amount of thought into this one to try to capture the key features of the natural shiner (at least from this area).

I've posted a bunch of additional pictures to the pattern database showing the flies and the shiner I was trying to match. Take a look at the shiner. They are actually very pretty little fish.

FC - The silver paint is Testors (the stuff that comes in the small square glass bottles and is used for painting plastic models) and the black eyes are painted with an acrylic craft paint (Apple Barrel Gloss 20662/Black). I think you can get them both at Walmart or at JoAnne Fabrics.

Nice bait fish pattern Ray. I'll tie a few of these up and use them for bass and mackerel.

I quite fancy the idea of tiny epoxy eyes - I like the extra weight they give allowing you to almost sink and draw the fly back in.

Thanks for the extra pictures too.

Nice one, I hope this fly works well, catching a fish on a pattern that you took the time to "problem solve" is fishing with gas!!!!

Thanks Big D (Joe Hard)! I hope to put this pattern to the test on Wednesday. I'm hoping that it passes (I'll keep my fingers crossed). :D

flytyierforheir - No, the flies are dry in the photo. I run them under water to wet them after all of the tying steps are done and then let them air dry. That is why the shape of the bucktail wing is tapered. The wetting and drying process helps train the hair to keep a more tapered profile.

mswaterfowler - The shinner was accidentally caught with a pattern I recently posted called a spectrum leech.

I can imagine that little guy's story, " i just swimming along, mindin' my own business and i saw this leech swimming along behind me and then !BAM! something stuck me in my chin and came out my nose and then i was gettin dragged through the water and then out of it. And then this big , tan thing had me in its paw and there was a couple of big flashes and then i was back in the water swimmin' along again. I swear!"