Fly Tying

Had fun with this one......it kept saying "go get me wet"....but I had to tell it that there aren't any steelies around here.....then it said "move to another state"

I dyed the wings....they were supposed to be claret, but I didn't leave them in the bath long enough so they came out a lighter shade that reminds me of rasberry but not quite.

The long hackle is glycerined ostrich or rhea. I added a few touches of purple hackle on all sides like you would tie in a few strands of krystal flash.

Can't wait to swing it on a long line!! Some more pics in the database and the one attached here is plain ostrich...not glycerined....the feather was wrapped the entire shank which is why it looks a bit bulky.

Enjoy....Frank

post-609-1210634124_thumb.jpg

Wicked fly Frank !

You're right ......... it does beg to be longlined ......... go and swing her already ......... I would !!

I really look forward to your submissions , I find them rather inspiring ......... thanks for posting !!

Mike

Fantastic Fly, Great Colorization

I don't think it's to bulky looking at the pics, the other thing is

if this is a swimmer some of that " bulk " will lay

further back providing more transluesence and turbulence

causing the fly to swim beautifully and the fish to be more inclined

to clobber it. Great Tie,

Cheers,

Speyman

I TOTALLY agree with EVERY word above and MORE!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S a KILLER!!!!! i LOVE the bulk......it just SCREAMS fish me. Only...........Frank.....you leftout the second a right after the last z...........it Razzamatazz. One of my very best friends..........George Mraz.....world renowned Jazz Bassist, is nicknamed Marzamatazz. And it's that second a that really gives it the VONCE! :hyst: I'll leave it to you to, "Consult Your Funk and Wagnals" as to what VONCE! means in the vernacular. :hyst:

I'm gonna locate those feathers tonight and see what i can come up with. later gator, mark..... B)

btw, George is also a world class fly angler and a tyer who keeps a meticulas log of his fishin' excusions. He's also partically responsible for gettin' me started in all of this........ ;) ..... He was born and raised and classically trained in what was then know as Czechoslovacia (sp?).....and has lived in N.Y.C. since the late 60's and fished the Catskills extensively, for well over 35 years.......we've been tight since 1976 when he came to work at the (legendary Jazz Club) Keystone Korner in S.F., and i was the house sound-man. You may have a chance to meet him, IF.....you come to dinner with us on Fri. night June 6th. :D

Frank I will take some in sizes 6 through 12!!!

Unreal fly mate! I love that hackle, what exactly is that?

The colours just jive really well together, I bet it produces wonderful movement in the water.

What hook is that? It is hard to tell, but you tied it to look great on that hook. Superbly done.

Phil

"A bit bulky"........ Looks a bit fishy to me Frank. :thumbsup: Youve been putting out some great flies Frank. You need to get yourself to a steelhead river and do some swinging my friend! Keep it up. Kevin

Great looking fly !! I really like the laced feathers for the wing. I agree with all above that fly is going to swim!!

Frank

The hook is an Alec Jackson 1 1/2.....just for you Howard!!

The hackle is glycerined ostrich.......got it off ebay.

Regular ostrich feathers will work too...as long as the tip of the stem is thin....check out feathers dusters in a nearby store...you won't these feathers in a fly shop.

Good times and great music ahead!!

Frank