Fly Tying
vtflyhack

Flytyer mag

I sometimes wonder why I subscribe to Flytyer magazine. My subscription is due, and I can't decide to renew. It seems that the Mag is stuck in a rut and It seems to be the same old same old every time it arrives in my mail box. It might just be me. There was a time that I would be jonesing to get my hands on the newest copy. The last few issues I have recived I not been excited by them. I used to get so stoked by what I saw that I would tie a good portion of what I saw in the articles. I look to the very few tying orientated mags for a spark of inspration, to get my creative jucies flowing. (Thank goodness for FTF) I do like the ability of having things in print and flip through a magazine at my own pace. I know there is content in F Ty but it feels hollow. I look foward to the new hatches. I hope Will and the others are looking at other publications and taking a good look at what they are covering now and also past issues, and excell at there weakness.I Know it's got to be really hard to pull off a magazine for everybody likes. Just my thoughts.

vtflyhack

I just got the newest edition in the mail a few days ago. I was surprized to see another full dress salmon fly on the cover.

I still like the mag, basically because it's the only game in town until Hatches takes over the world and produces 2 issues per month. FT seems to make an effort to cover a wide spectrum of tying in each issue, from traditional "trout" dries to full-synth warmwater stuff plus the salt. I can't tolerate the politics which saturate most all the other "mainstream" fly fishing rags which have one or two small tying articles per issue. In fact FT is the only outdoors rag I subscribe to anymore.

When do we start pre-paying for the next issue of Hatches?

I am letting both my American Angler and Flytyer subscriptions run out. I will grab them off the newsstand instead. I will probably wind up still buying most, if not all of the Flytyers, but American Angler is no longer of any use what with a repeat article after just a three year span.

Our local shop buys them and puts them out for free. I like Fly Tyer but also am not a fan of American Angler. I'm another one waiting for Hatches to take off but in the meantime for what I need, Fly Tyer is okay. :dunno:

Mike

I get more ideas from tying shows and this forum than from any mag I have read. Its not to say their articles don't have merit. Its just by the time they go to print they're often old news. I tie realistics and inland saltwater and warmwater flies. Most cold water patterns are of small intrest to me but seem to make up most of the articles in most mags. And its probably because in their marketing demigraphic I would belong to a very small cross section of readers. So why do I buy any of them? Because there may be that one article are step by step technique that sparks an idea. Its not a perfect world and some times you have to take what you get.

I too have let a lot of my mags go out of sub. There doing a lot of weird things like AA now has a whole salt section?? not sure why as the have FFSW and fly tyer is getting a bit redundent I do like SWFF 'cause of the local locals. but other than that COME ON HATCHES!!!!

just my 2c

Justin

I really do appreciate the support for Hatches(I need it) and believe me when I say that nobody works harder to put together the best magazine possible than I do.

For the exact reasons that everyone has mentioned I feel that Hatches may always be published once per year, twice at the most. I couldn't imagine trying to find enough good articles to fill 4 - 6 issues every year. It's hard enough to fill one.

I really do appreciate the support for Hatches(I need it) and believe me when I say that nobody works harder to put together the best magazine possible than I do.

For the exact reasons that everyone has mentioned I feel that Hatches may always be published once per year, twice at the most. I couldn't imagine trying to find enough good articles to fill 4 - 6 issues every year. It's hard enough to fill one.

now that the truth that why the others fill theirs with what fly the president united states is using and were and when he's using it. this is were i find mags like hatches and and a few other local one do way better. because it more pertains to what i am doing not them. if fly fish America was not free i would not read it.because they get to off the beaten path of were i fish. any ways good luck and tight lines and awesome job the site and the mag keep up the great work

here is one of those local mags well a link to it at least

http://michigansstreamsidejournal.com/inde...3&Itemid=40

rhino....................

Hatches is awesome.......cant beleive 2nd issue will be out soon...............I too find myself getting sometimes bored with flytyer......Like I told a friend that the story has to grab you in the first few sentences to keep your attention..well at least me anyways IMHO................

I have subscriptions to many/most of the major flytying/flyfishing magazines published in the U.S. and several done in England. Why, because I enjoy them all. As Fred said, you may find one idea or article that you really enjoy that makes your hour or your day. If it makes me smile, feel good and think, I love it, and the subscriptions are generally much cheaper than buying of the stand.

Ray

I agree with you. I haven't been real impressed with all the stuff in Fly Tyer. Most of that stuff doesn't apply to me. I'm a trout fisher on the fly and I don't tie salmon patterns. I'll keep the sub for now but maybe next year I'll drop it.

I don't need the salt section in AA so I think I'm not going to renewing it. I feel like I'm paying for 1/2 a magazine. Oh well. We still have Hatches to look forward to. Now thats a magazine.

I too have let a lot of my mags go out of sub. There doing a lot of weird things like AA now has a whole salt section?? not sure why as the have FFSW and fly tyer is getting a bit redundent I do like SWFF 'cause of the local locals. but other than that COME ON HATCHES!!!!

just my 2c

Justin

American Angler has incorporated a saltwater section because their sister publication, Saltwater Flyfishing, went belly up. There weren't enough subscribers to keep that one going, so they fulfilled the subscription to that magazine by sending AA with it's supplement to those who were expecting SWFF. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed because I had discontinued AA for many of the reasons previously stated here.

Flyfishing in Saltwater is a completely different magazine, offered by a different publishing company.

I have had several subscriptions over the years, and now only subscribe to one "Eastern Fly Fishing" It focuses more on waters (east of the Mississippi) and how to fish them, as well as giving you the most popular or two fly recipies.

They cover Canada down to Florida.

I have been able to fish more places, with a head start when hitting the water.

Conehead

Why not write the editor and tell him what you want to see in the magazine? No threats, no editorials, just tell the guy what kind of articles or features will make you subscribe. Fly fishing and tying magazines are not a lucrative market, your subscription matters.

When Will put together Hatches, he filled a niche: a clear, well-illustrated fly tying magazine. I do not know what sort of pre-publication research verified the need, but his efforts are focused and, it seems, appreciated by members of this forum. By using the forum as a sensing tool and running Hatches in a multi-media format (electronic, newsletter, video, forum) he has the ability to respond to a specialized, and often capricious, market.

Like Hatches? Buy a copy. Like it a lot? Buy two copies. :)