Fly Tying
Pujic

Going Carping

If "carping" is even a word! LOL

After a nice Friday lunch, my buddy and I took a drive to a spot where only a few years ago, another buddy of mine and I went carp fishing (on the fly of course). During that outing, good friend Glen Hales hooked and landed the Ontario record carp...a whopping 38 pounds, only feet away from me! ive_been_ripped.gif j_k.gif

At first glance today I could see at least a hundred of these things feet from shore, in spawning mode. This is the best and easiest time to get these fish (our season allows it). After a few minutes of looking at the average 20 pounders, we spotted some MONSTERS in the 40 pound plus range. New records for sure! I think I'm going to cut out of the office in a few minutes and go back down there with an 8wt and see what I can get. It's going to be really sweet to feel a fish over 30 pounds on the end of my line again! Haven't felt that since the kings in the Fall.

Pics and reports to come shortly guys! Hope everyone enjoys their long weekend. Don't forget to take the camera!

P.S. If there are any warm water fanatics around, in proximity of the Bay of Quinte area, please don't hesitate to drop me a line. Perhaps we can hook up and hit the water! Cheers,

Man I seen some carp when I was out last weekend. Everytime I threw something at them it was like I was throwing a hand grenade or something mad.gif

I tried everything to hook up but they were in shallow water and I actually walked right up on them and looked down and there they were so they were probably a little spooked from me getting to close.

Good luck man and take some pics wink.gif

Just got back in. Got there just before 3:00 pm. In my mad dash to get there, I only brought waders, my 8wt, 3 flies, a tripod and a camera. No vest, no net, not even a hat (stupid).

Anyways, the carp were there. Some cruizing, some just laying still near the bank. Stealth was important. I had to go to the truck and put on an old grey shirt over the bright yellow one I was wearing as the fish kept spooking (again, stupid).

Here is the sight that awaited me.

user posted image

With a large, size 8 brown dragon fly nymph, I tried to focus on the carp laying still, and ignore the huge monsters cruzing through. About 10 minutes into it I finally got a taker! A nice 10 pound male - not a bad start!

user posted image

After releasing my first fish I checked the line and made another cast. Bang. Back to back! This fish was a bit bigger, tipping the scales between 14 and 15 pounds. I was getting warmer, but the bigger lads were still ignoring my fly.

Going through the routine of releasing the fish, checking the line, and getting set again, I saw what looked like the fattest carp I've seen near a weedbed. I dropped my fly about 4" in front and to the right of it and bang again! A three-peat! Only this time, I had hooked a serious fish!

After watching my line and backing race out into Lake Ontario for at least 20 minutes, I was finally able to turn this pig around and start reeling in. Literally, I was down to maybe 15 yards left on my backing. On a large arbor reel I might add! When I saw the carp my jaw dropped.

Now just imagine this situation. I am alone in the middle of a marsh. No one around, and I have no net. From looking at it, the fish on the end of my line was at least 30 pounds. A FAT FAT FAT female, with about 2 or 3 other large male carp following and bumping it because of the activity the female is displaying. My 8lb test line is getting wrapped up in a carp spawning frenzy. 8wt rod is bent over like a noodle. The female on the end of my line is not only trying to pull away from me, but is also franticaly trying to escape the males which wouldn't leave her alone. Talk about desperation. I thought for sure that I would never get it in, ever! After another 10 minutes of convincing the miracle happened, I landed the biggest carp of my life! More "round" then long, this hog tipped the scale to a whopping 34 pounds!!! My facial expression should say it all.

user posted image

And another shot of the carp dwarfing my 8wt outfit. That looks more like a 3wt reel than an 8/9wt reel doesn't it?

user posted image

Not quite as big as I originally thought but by far my personal best on a fly or otherwise! Not bad at all!

After a short photo session (which by the way is very hard with a 34 pound fish and no one else to help) the fish was on it's merry way to finish spawning.

I kept fishing for a few more minutes, hooking 2 other 20+ pound carp. I landed one nice male, and finally lost my dragon fly nymph to the other after he wrapped me around a stick.

user posted image

For only being out on the water a few hours man does my arm hurt!!! I had a great time! Again, if anyone is going to be in the area and wants to get in on some of this great carp fishing, just drop me a line! Cheers!

What kind of species of Bass is that? LOL j_k.gif

I hope you washed your hands after handling that big bass shit.gif help.gif

OSD.

Amazing....no other words I could use to describe that monster. I can't even imagine the fight that beast put up, especially being by yourself without a net man. Unbelieveable man........I need to come up there for a weekend. Awesome fish!

pujic, who the heck took your picture? Those are some monster carp man, I didnt even think you had carp in canada.

john

The thing was HUUUUUGE! It was deep, I've never seen one like it before. If you look at the pic above you'll notice it actually has 2 humps, not just the typical 1 most carp have.

The scary thing is, I saw carp that were way bigger than this one cruzing around. But that's just the problem, those cruzers are hard to get. They aren't feeding most times, and do nothing but frustrate you if you try to fish them.

I think I'll hit the same spot again on Sunday (weather permitting). And Will, I told ya before you gotta make it up! It's not that far man!

Here is another shot of it. Look at the size of the mouth. Keep in mind that that reel has a 4" diamater!

user posted image

John,

I carry a light, collapsable aluminum tripod with me. I have a backpack which carries all of my camera gear and then the tripod attaches to it. I don't leave home without it. Although it sure would have helped to have someone there with me today! wallbash.gif

Thats funny, you have a photo rig all set up, tripod and all, but forgot your net laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

thats rich.

Congrats on the trophy carp ( I hope you will not be asking advanced to make a copy of that, it may scare away people).

john

Yowza!!! What a fish!!! Too bad those things aren't edible.

What fun that must have been. I kick myself for not carp fishing with the fly rod when I lived in Pennsylvania. Next time I'm out that way visiting, I'm going to have to target those vacuum cleaners.

Congrats! And I hope you break that limit. Wonder what the lightest leader you could actually land something like that on.

Outstanding pujic! Carp are awesome fighters and I can't imagine the fight that a fish that size put up!

Love the expression on your face hun! It's a classic. Huge carp, holy! Good job. Can't wait till we go on Sunday! Then I will see if I can beat your record! tongue.gif

no doubt, the girl will hook into something that dwarfs your fish and then say "that wasn't that difficult"...... story of my life.... Never thought I'd say it, but nice carp! them things are a blast, When and if it warms up I'll be fishing them flats style out on Lake St. Clair.

steve

To me his expression says

I can't believe I am picking this fish up and I hope it don't drip on my shirt

user posted image

dunno.gif

OSD.