Fly Tying
Mustang Mike

Flies for Kenai Alaska Trip

I also posted this one on the Steelhead Salmon forum but thought I might get a quicker reply here ...

I'm leaving tonight for a week long trip to the Kenai Peninsula, with no time left to tie any flies. (story of my life!) :wallbash:

I have a ton of flies with the exception of egg patterns and leeches. What other "normal" patterns could I take with any hope of success?? (Dry or wet) Is it any good to tie droppers, etc....?? :dunno:

Thanks gang!!

I've fished Alaska twice, although not the Kenai.

I'd say take any Clousers, Bunnies and streamers that imitate minnows. Also, I've hit big hatches of caddis and mayflies.....big numbers and big sizes....so take some 12 and up dries and emergers. Also some big dry attractors such as Stimulators and Wulffs.

Tight lines......Fred

I would suggest tying up a handful of leech patterns. You should be able to crank out a dozen in about a half hour or less, and they work great. You can use either marabou or bunny fur strips if you've got any. Tye up some weighted and unweighted versions so you can fish a range of depths.

I would suggest tying up a handful of leech patterns. You should be able to crank out a dozen in about a half hour or less, and they work great. You can use either marabou or bunny fur strips if you've got any. Tye up some weighted and unweighted versions so you can fish a range of depths.

I ended up bringing my streamers and found an egg sucking leech kit at Fred Meyers in Soldatna. I tied up a few (unweighted) and will give them a try tomorrow. I was gettng hits today on one of the lakes that holds trout using a stimulator dry.