Fly Tying
day5

Whats you vise

Choose your vise  

956 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've got a $20 vise from Cabela's that came with my beginners set. Reworked to make it ture rotary, it's served me well, it's over 5 years old. My dream vise is the Renzetti Masters!

I think that I got the same kit. I still am using the materials that I got from it. It seems to be a pretty good vice.

In my house we have two DanVises (the one I bought when I started, which I use and love, mostly, and the one I won for Rookie of the Year FTOTY last year, which my wife uses when she ties) and a cheapo Cabela's travel vise that I bought for my son to start out on.

I'm currently thinking of getting a new vise for myself. I like the inline rotary function of the DanVise, but I'm too hard on the jaws, and need something where I won't flare the jaws after a couple thousand flies. I tied on an HMH last night for a bit, and I liked it, but I'm not sure I could get used to the cam action of the rotary function. What I need to do is find a shop that has most every kind of vise and just st down and tie on them for a while to see what I really like.

-PK

I started with one of the Cabela's standard kit with vise and tools in the wooden case. I recently purchased a Danvise and am enjoying it so far. I intend to use my simple Cabela's vise for travel ( Ihave something to do at night when away from home besides the boob tube) and hope to learn new techniques with the rotary feature of the Danvise.

One thing is for sure if any one is shopping for a new vise, check the threeads on this forum. there is a wealth of info from guys who know what they are doing. I learn so much here that I'm sure my tying would not have progressed as much anywhere else. Thanks to everyone for all the help and info you so kindly share with folks who have found an interest in a super addiction, oops I mean hobby. :hyst: :lol:

I bought a Danvice to get into rotary with the intention of getting a "real" vice at some point. Well I've found it. I'm sticking with the Danvice despite constant razzing from my bro in law about having a plastic vice. I haven't found a thing it does wrong.

CB

I started with an Indian "comes with the kit" vise. After that I bought a cheapo rotary, just to try what it was all about. After finding out what it was all about, the rest of the vises have all been rotary. Danvise, Griffin Montana Mongoose, Dyna-King Barracuda Jr and now a Dyna-King Barracuda Ultimate indexer. It has everything I want, with exception of air conditioning... but I guess you just can't have it all. :D

/Nick

Been using a Renzetti Presentation 400 for the past 6 years or so and see no real need to change at this point.

I would like to pick up a Traveler for the kids to use at home and me on the road.

I'm new here. Started on a Regal Inex and transitioned to a Regal Medallion. I have tied on a LAW vise for the past 7 years or so. The LAW is one of the simplest and best vises I have ever used.

I've been tyin on a DynaKing Baracuda for the last 4-5 months. Bought it to replace a renzetti traveler i sold to a buddy starting out. Took some getting used to but I love the vice!! It's great!

Mike

My vices are beer, fly tying and a few other things :cheers:

Started on a Thompson A, moved to a Dyna-King Kingfisher. Very happy with the DK in all aspects. If my skills and habits outgrow the Kingfisher (doubtful), DK will still be my brand of choice.

So I am on the phone complaining to my wife that the lousy Canada Post still hasn't delivered my vice. I hear the box slam and I drop the phone (not pleasing the wife in the process) run to the box and guess whats there...my new Dan-vice from Hilltop. Whatta bummer , I am leaving at 4:00 in the a.m. so I do not get to play with it for 2 weeks. The only thing I see a little off is that I cant seem to get the rotary part to lock down really tight. Any suggestions from Dan-Vice owners? :yahoo: :thumbup: :kicking:

I'm sure everyone has a reason thier vise is the best. and all the vises listed here are good.

A few things to think about before you buy a vise.

1st How much money do you want to spend.

2nd what do you want to do with your vise(tie at home,take it on the road)

3rd What do you want to tie with it.(size 22 drys or size 2 streamers or bigger salt water flies)Then you Make your choice.

4th find someone(if you can)that has the vise you want and try it out and see if it's what you really want and that you are comfortable with.

I didn't have a choice,My wife bought both my vises. 1st a cheep learning kit then an Apex Anvil,I loved them both and can tie everything I need or want to tie on them.