Fly Tying
day5

Whats you vise

Choose your vise  

956 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Anvil Apex, too.

I believe we think that our own vise is the best, don't you?. At least, if we can't buy another best.

Very true, The benefits of joining a fly tying club is that on tying nights you can bug your friend and try their's out.

Jon

I started out with an HMH Spartan until a friend gave me his Traveller. I really like the traveller.

What lights to people use to illuminate their vise. I am currently using a desk lamp but feel that the light is not as good as it could be and the light is not very portable. I tie in several locations in the house.

Dynaking Pro, my seventh vice. I have worn a few out. I can tie everything in every size easily, 7/0 to 32s. I had a 14 inch extended vertical made for it, so I can get realistic bugs very close to my eyes and not bend over too far. As for lamps I have 2, one desk style with round fluorescent bulb and one 100 w mini spot light. The other is a Halogen 100 W desk light, with 6 inch magnifying lens. Then there is a 4-bank florescent on the ceiling.

Cheers, Futzer

Nice to see this thread still getting hit! Just an update on my HMH. I contacted them about a set of jaws I had that would slip now and then. (Remember I tie 6000+ flies a year) I had a new set in 3 days......... still the best vise made!!! IMHO!

there truly is a lot of good vises out there I tye with regal,griffin, nor-vise,old thompson and others just depends what i'm tying or what kind of mood I'm in

currently using the Sunrise "A" vise that came in my starter kit (got the kit for 10 bucks off ebay and it gave me a great start into tying) I'm wanting to get a danvise. I have been hinting at the wife I want one so I have my fingers crossed lol!

I use a Nor Vise at home & a Griffin when travelling.

I have owned many different vises over the years & find the nor vise excellent. I do use the Nor vise Fine Point jaws (optional extra) a lot for small scud type flies.

I bought a couple of the Nor vise automatic bobbins to try out but I am not very impressed with them.

Rotary vises are definately the way to go & Nor Vise is an excellent rotary vise.

I started out with an cheap copy of Regal vise, then upgraded to Renzetti 4000 CAM about a year ago and just plain love it! I am hooked. And not only it has great features, but the rotary feature has acutaly improved my tying :D

I started with a cabelas kit vise. Would not hold a hook and could not ever get it adjusted. In the last week I bought a Renzetti 2000, maybe I am partial to the quality. I also have a Renzetti rod lathe for the last 10 years and it has worked without a hitch. Hopefully I will get many more years from both.

Renzetti is thumbs up in my book.

Need to change my vote. This weekend I got a Dyna-King Barracuda Indexer. Holy heck, what a machine. Nothing really wrong with my old vise for trout/steelhead/salmon flies, I just started tying larger flies and thought a different vise might help. I've tied from 20 up to 1/0 on the standard jaws this weekend with no issues whatsoever. Great vise so far.

I actually have a Regal and I love it. To each his own I guess. Besides given what we paid for and how my wife is with money, this thing has to last for years before I can ask to get another one. :rolleyes: