Fly Tying
day5

Whats you vise

Choose your vise  

956 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been tying for ten years, and after having tied on several brands and types I have found the HMH Spartan, HMH Standard and the Dyna-king Professional to be the ideal vices for my tying style. I especially like the easy hook access with my HMH's, simplicity, exellent hook holding power, and made to last a lifetime of constant use. I use the Dyna-king for Big Bass flies and large hooks and also made to last forever.

I tie mostly on a Pamola Fly Lathe, I have 2 other vises. The Pamola was supposed to be a great rotary and indeed it does spin nice, but I don't like the access to the hook for anything by streamers. That being said it is also configurable as a static vise and I use it like that 99.95% of the time, it has awesome hook holding power from size 28 to 2/0. It is build very sturdy and well. Alas, the company is no longer in business. I use it pretty often for about 10 years now. I'm looking to get a Renzetti master with the saltwater base at the end of this month for my B-day so I can get more into rotary. I like the rotary tying for doing bodies.

Update:

I just got the HMH Standard vise today and I must say it is an excellant vise. I also got the micro jaws for the small stuff. It looks like the quality is up to par with my Dyna-King FC Enhanced which I use for my bass flies. I would highly recommend this vise !!!!!! :thumbup:

Randy

Update 2

Sent the HMH back today. Could not get used to the hook tension adjustment and had to tighten the tension up so tight that I could hardly get the cam lever to close to keep the hook from moving in the jaws. Looks like i'm a gonna get another Dyna-King. It's hard to go to another vise once you get used to the notch lock cam and hook holding power of a Dyna-King.

Randy

Update 2

Sent the HMH back today. Could not get used to the hook tension adjustment and had to tighten the tension up so tight that I could hardly get the cam lever to close to keep the hook from moving in the jaws. Looks like i'm a gonna get another Dyna-King. It's hard to go to another vise once you get used to the notch lock cam and hook holding power of a Dyna-King.

Randy

Sorry to hear about your experience with the HMH but am surprised -- I own an HMH Standard and haven't had to apply that much force to the cam lever in order to get sufficient tension to keep the hook from moving . . . and I mostly spin/stack deer hair. Ah well, hope you're much happier with the Dyna-King.

-- Mike

r mourinig I had the same issue with my HMH it was a 12 cent o-ring ( or ws it less?) in the collar that had dry roted. Now the vise clamps easier than both of my buddies DK's You should have contacted HMH directly. They have a kick aazz staff and customer service. And there product support is way better than DK's. 50 dollars for new jaws! limited warranty on jaws! That sucks! Broken hooks due to improper jaw adjustment. Bummer! IM glad I have a hmh! here watch the end of this video

There are many good vices on the market. Most are good,some are brilliant and I have either owned or tried most of them.

I do feel ,however, that there is something indefinably right about the Law bench vice. It may be the fact that it is so obviously hand made and beautifully designed. It is like owning a Jaguar and then aquiring an Aston Martin.Both do the job and both are desirable but the Aston has that extra something. So has the Law!

If I ever replace my HMH (porsche) it will be a law (Aston Martin) or a petitjean master (Lamborghini)

Currently use just an el-cheapo vice. Gets me by at the moment, but if anyone has any old, proven vices that they might be willing to part with for cheap in order to help a poor college kid, let me know ;) ! Minneapolis doesn't seem to be flooded with used fly-tying or fishing stuff...

Good Day,

Matt, did I hear that right... Bob said you sleep with your vise under your pillow...

Steelie

Yes you heard him wrong I have a velvet bed specially made for my vise it in a climate controlled case. It also is equipped with XM (my vise likes country music but hates commercials). From time to time I take it for walks It especially like to go to the beach and watch the sunset. Afterwards we enjoy a bottle of cab and remember all of the flies we have tied together. Sleeping with your vise would be kinda strange and twisted.

Out of the thousands of dozen flies tied in my Dynaking Pro, I have broken 1 hook. Their customer service and custom work I have asked for has been in my opinion A+.

Cheers, Futzer.

Amen Futzer,

In the 10+ yr.s i've had my Dyna -King FC Enhanced I have never had one problem with the vise or customer service. Looks like the DK Supreme (with the additional midge jaws) will be my next vise.

Randy

Before I got really involved in the Dyna-King line .. meaning I am now the proud owner of 3 Dyna-King vises .. I had thought about experimenting with other brands. But then I figured .. why? It's a decision I didn't make I haven't regretted. Between the product and the service I'm a loyal DK customer.

Mike

Hey Maddog48,

The DK Kingfisher looks like a sweet compact vise, the perfect travel vise. Does it have a tension adjustment for the 360 deg. rotation like most other DK vises? Also, what vise do you use to tie the flies on the dime in your pic. and what size are those hooks?

Randy