Fly Tying
day5

Whats you vise

Choose your vise  

956 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Those Yongs are tied on a TMC2488H.They're a size 22 on a 2X Short shank which would make them a 24. I like the straight eye and 2X Heavy style for smaller patterns. I actually tied some of them with the Voyager2 and some with the Kingfisher. The Kingfisher seems to be a pretty standard DK vise with the forcing cone and lock-notch cam.

Mike

I have 2 $20 el cheapo vises from Gander Mountain. :crying: :crying: :crying: (And they don't even hold hooks that well...yeah they are that bad)

I want to get a Griffin Spider Vise though. :yahoo: :headbang: :D

I use two vises .A LAW travlers a "super vise" and a Price Vise my "personal favorite". They both tie the same range of hooks and both are great and hold hooks tight. I use the Price more often .

My vise is German beer and single malt scotch :cheers: but I tie on a Dnya-King Kingfisher.

Guest Tony P

I registered for this site a long time ago & lost the link so never came back until I found the link on another site the other day & this is my first post with more to follow in the near future.

I've probably one of the luckiest guys with a great Wife & Parents that like to buy me fishing & hunting equipment. I'm kind of a vise & tool junkie & currently have & tie on all of the following, Dyna-King Barracuda, Dyna-King Professional, Dyna-King Sidewinder, Nor-Vice, LAW, & my original Thompson A. I just can't seem to let go of any of them as they have all served me well over the years & all are works of art in some form or another. I would love to get a Renzetti Master & a Petitjean Swiss Master one day.

Tony

I have used my vice (got it for $20 at Sportsmans Warehouse) almost exclusivly since I started tying. It holds 32's perfectly, as well as streamer hooks down to a no. 1/0. I am quite satisfied with it.

I have been using a Dyna King Barracuda for the last few years, but I just bought the Nore Vice and LOVE it so far.

Still trying to get a hang of the Auto Bobbin though!!!!

Rick

I currently use a Nor vise. I use both the supplied jaws & the traditional jaws. I have used & tried many different vises over the years & the nor Vise is every bit as good as the ones I have used in the past.

I also have the Nor Vise bobbins but I don't use them much as I'm too ingrained with the normal bobbins.

I'm thinking of fashioning a more traditional bobbin rest that I can swing out of the way when not in use.

I currently use a Nor vise. I use both the supplied jaws & the traditional jaws. I have used & tried many different vises over the years & the nor Vise is every bit as good as the ones I have used in the past.

I also have the Nor Vise bobbins but I don't use them much as I'm too ingrained with the normal bobbins.

I'm thinking of fashioning a more traditional bobbin rest that I can swing out of the way when not in use.

I tie with a nor vise but wouldn't think of reaching for a regular bobbin (wish bone style) guess never thought about it.Does it work well for ya? I also tie with a griffin patriot,regal,and have some older thompson vises (model b's) and such!

Renzetti Traveler knob...just bought another on sale at Orvis for my home bench and put the old one in my travel bag. TDS

Renzetti traveler here. I've been wanting to get another vise for some time now, so I can tie larger flies without my jaws snapping(it's happened 4 times on hookes larger then 12). So I'm thinkin of getting a saltwater head so I can tie up some bass flies this summer.

:devil:

Me i have 3 my first one was a cheep one i bought 30 years ago,after that i made my first vice like a renzetti,and after that (last week)i made my 3 vive like a norvice

Here some pic,

vice.jpg

100_1138.jpg

B)

Started out with a Thompson A long time ago. Used that for a while until I bought a Renzetti Traveler. Both of them are good vises. Never had a problem with them. The only challenge with either one was when I was tying Deer Hair Bass Bugs. Could never keep the hooks tight enough when I was tying, granted I was tying very large bass bugs (3/0-4/0).

Maybe it was me. About the same time I went to flyfishing show up in New Jersey. There was a gentleman using a Dyna King Barracuda. The next week I bought myself one. For me it is the perfect vise. I tie everything on it. It's a great vise.

Steve