Fly Tying
day5

Whats you vise

Choose your vise  

956 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That Montana Mongoose seems like a really nice vise. I think they did a nice job with the layout, and it seems quite smooth. It looks cool too!

It is a very nice vise. The jaw power on them is unbelievable and it has a very smooth rotary. The looks are just an extra. :yahoo:

I use an HMH Spartan, a Danvise, and a modified Ron Abbey Dyna-King (see below).

P2030392.jpg

Ever since reading Al & Gretchen Beatty's book Rotary Fly-Tying Techniques I've wanted to modify my Dyna-King. Before any DIY McGivering, I contacted Dyna-King to see if they had any suggestions. Dyna-King sent a new titling vise stem and bobbin rest attachement and now I'm one happy camper!

Tying flies is a hobby for me. A dozen flies in a day would be a lot for me. Even so, I like for my hobby tools (toys?) to be hassle-free. I just replaced my Peak Rotary with a Griffin Mongoose. In my opinion, the biggest benefit of the Peak was the rotary function, which works quite well. My first vise, and still my alternate, was a Griffin Montana Pro. I prefer the hook holding power of the Griffin and the hook access of the Griffin over the Peak. I will say that I think the Peak's pedestal is a little better than the Mongoose pedestal. Both vises have 3/8" stems, so I use the Peak pedestal with the Mongoose. Is the Griffin the best vise ever? I have no clue. It's certainly not the prettiest. :-)

Actually, I think the Griffin Mongoose is a very cool looking vise! I actually bought one, then sold it without ever using it because I got my Nor-vise, and felt I had really spent too much between the two of them. But I loved the looks of it, and it was certainly had smooth rotation.

i have never known what is so special about a nor-vise...... i am not trying to be rude i just honestly dont know what they do.... can anyone explain?

They hold hooks and rotate...fast. Also have an automatic bobbin. I'm not a fan of their appearance but I've heard they are pretty good :dunno:

i choose other... because curently i use a pair of vice grips and an old cymbal stand from my drum kit :lol:

Man I thought the vice in your avatar looked familiar.

Hahaha...well those are nice flies for a vice...grip... Get a real vise and i'm sure they'll look even better!!

Hahaha...well those are nice flies for a vice...grip... Get a real vise and i'm sure they'll look even better!!

Vises don't make the fly. Claudia is a living, breathing example of that - she holds the hook in her hands when she ties!

Vises don't make the fly. Claudia is a living, breathing example of that - she holds the hook in her hands when she ties!

Well i'm just saying...with the aid of a vise it makes it more fun and you can tie nicer flies sometimes.

Sometimes....not all her flies are hand tied. I believe it is only the full dress ones that she ties in hand ;)

post-4914-1268955734_thumb.jpg

heres my two darlings, 1 is an old thompson and the other is a really old thompson,,,,,,i have broke bass jig hooks with the old vise

it is super strong, i wouldn't trade it for a renzetti,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,