Fly Tying
day5

Whats you vise

Choose your vise  

956 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Over the past 7 months my Nor as become my go to vise. Sure there are somethings it doesn't due quite as well as I'd like it too and in certain respects my travelar worked better, but for the most part I'm pretty happy with it. I'll probably pick up a set of the midge jaws for it and it I "think" I'll be set. Between the way I can spin my materials on a hook and the 90 degree indexing with a bump of the brass sleeve I'm pretty happy with it. The jaws also do a heck of a job holding big hooks on deer hair.

I'm going to give my daughter the displaced Traveler once I replace the jaws with the cam model and I'll by a Baracuda for when I travel.

I love my Danvice (one of the most useful Christmas gifts I've every received)! I've been tying on it for about 5 years and it has been very reliable. The only thing I didn't like about it was the bobbin rest.

I've always dreamed of buying a fully tricked out Renzetti Master vice, but can't justify the pricetag when my Danvice does such a good job. Maybe if I win the lottery I can buy one... ;)

Funny the bobbin rest was the part I liked best! So much that I still use it on my HMH!

I guess I'm kind of a "vise junkie". I have several that I really like and use: a peak, an anvil apex, and 2 thompsons (both the A & B models). All work very well and I alternate using them just for the fun of it. If I had to choose one? Almost a tossup between the anvil apex or the peak. Probably the apex. I've really grown to like that vise. I like the compact size, small jaws that seem able to hold about anything and the smooth rotation. It seems to be built really well too.

The Peak is equally good in most ways but due to the larger size it just doesn't feel quite as comfortable to me. I like to use the Thompson vises for nostalgia. They both work very well too despite being 30 to 40 years old.

Greg

I use a Dyna-King Barracuda Jr for most tying and an HMH Spartan with midge jaws for the small stuff.

Dave

Hi,

I recently retired my Thompson of many, many years. I wanted something in the same configuration with more stability and the option of changing jaws and head angle. I got myself an HMH Spartan. I've been using it for a while, now and am very happy with it's performance, stability, great construction and ease of changing the jaws. It will probably do me for the rest of my life.

Mark

My first vise that I used for 40 years was a Herter's vise I ordered from their catalog store in Waseca,Mn.I was lucky enough to win a Griffon Patriot Vise at a Trout Unlimited Banquet which I currently use to tie my flies.

I started on a cheap basic clamp on years ago and now I have been using a Peak for the past two years. For 12 and smaller I use the midge jaws and I can get to all surfaces pretty good. I really like the simplicity of design of the Peak. Can't compair it to others as I haven't tied on anything else but I'm not ready to change vises because the Peak has done everything I've asked it to do fresh or salt.

I upgraded to a Peak from the usual Cabelas starter vices. I'm very happy with it, although I still haven't gotten the hang of rotary tying yet (still seems easier to wrap hand-over-hand). I would be totally satisfied, if I hadn't seen a picture of the HMH microjaws. :wallbash: I'm trying to talk myself out of wanting a Spartan with microjaws as a dedicated small fly vice. The Peak midge jaws aren't bad, but they're a pain to switch out. And the HMH microjaws look awesome. Maybe I'll be lucky and find a deal on a used one.

Hi Group,

I've been tying commercial on a Danvise for the past ten years. It has served me well and the only thing I've added to it is an extension arm (www.btsflyfishing.com/danvise.htm) that gives me a little more room behind the jaws when tying long streamers & saltwater patterns. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I've been happily using an HMH Standard for a couple of years now and I doubt I will ever replace it with a different vise. It is stable, easy to adjust, holds hooks firmly, and is very comfortable for me, given its traditional configuration. I fully expect it to outlast me as well.

-- Mike

I've been tying on a Snowbee-Waldron for the last year or so after upgrading from a Renzetti Traveler. Very well built vise, very adjustable, holds hooks better than any other vise I've used, and the true rotary function is smooth as silk.

gee -- so, as a newbie, using the vise that came with the basic kit I got from Bass Pro Shop (I don't even know the name of my vise - I call it Chuck :P )...I decided to check out this thread in order to develop a short list of vises to check out, for upgrade purposes....and you people haven't really been of much help! you're all over the board!