Fly Tying
Capt. Matt C

Copper John Color?

Favorite/Most Effective Coper John Color  

316 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ask him about the red copper crouse.

I did and he said that that bug is the S!@#, and he said it is pretty simple!

I wuold like to see it if you would post a pic.

Check Your PM. I whipped one up tonight for you.

hi i am only a begginer but i have tied a few copper johns..... i have tied them in many colors but never have i seen 1 that looks as good as the original

Give it time, they will! :)

What's a Copper John? ;)

:j_k: Okay, I've gotta tie some...that's one I haven't tied or used yet.

Hi, I'm new here, first post. My vote is Red as an excellent prospecting dropper, followed closely by Chartreuse, then Copper. I use the Chartreuse as a caddis pupa, at least that's how I think of it. The fish might think it's a dinner mint, for all I know.

Hi from Spain, I think the original Copper is the best, sometimes I used red too.

One of my usual fishing friends have real devotion in dark green (not chartreuse).

I like Red myself. On my reds, I also tie in purple flashabou instead of thin skin for the wing case... That is my favorite color combo.

The only time I ever catch fish on a Copper John is when it's copper. Never had much luck on red. I know some guys who swore by chartreuse for the Smoky Mountains a couple years ago but I never could get it to work.

As an aside, the Copper John is one of a few patterns that I use that I'm tempted to buy instead of tie. Its one of those flies that I have to force myself to tie, but I'm always glad when I finish a bunch.

You know me brother if it ain't red it might as well be dead. Actually the wire color I use is called hot orange, but it looks closer to red to me. Told Alex about the copper crouse, hard to believe that thing works the way it does. Now you need to get that thing working in Colorado and give it it's just rewards.

Where do you all get colors like hot orange and chartreuse wire??

Thanks - Jim

You know me brother if it ain't red it might as well be dead. Actually the wire color I use is called hot orange, but it looks closer to red to me. Told Alex about the copper crouse, hard to believe that thing works the way it does. Now you need to get that thing working in Colorado and give it it's just rewards.

Where do you all get colors like hot orange and chartreuse wire??

Thanks - Jim

Hello Jim, It is Wapsi Ultra wire, the Hot Orange is in the Ultra wire Vivid selections.

J Stockard carries them http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/T...assie-Size.html as well as all colors in each size discounted http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/T...assie-Size.html

As does Feather-Craft http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?stor...mp;target=TH206

Among others. I like fine best myself.

Cheers Futzer.