Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Beginner Tyier

Tying on small flies

I know theres a tool out there to help tie on those smaller flies such as #24 and #22 hooks (eyesight ain't what it use to be). Can anyone tell me the name of it? Thanks -Jack-

I have the same problem. Tried using one of those magnifier lamps, but it screws up my depth perception. Ended up using the highest magnification drugstore reading glasses I could find. About $14.

I'd suggest visiting a shop that carries tying lamps and magnifiers and trying some out. You may not have the depth perception problem I did.

Most office supply stores also carry magnification lamps.

I have been struggling to get back into tying since i lost almost all the vision in my right to glaucoma several years ago and bad effects in my left as well. I can tell you from experience and help from several eye doctors that one of the best ways to help your vision on small items is lighting. I have been told to use several different types of light at one time focused on the work area. I use a small desk light with high UV bulb right next to the vise along with a 100watt incandescent spot and a fluorescent shop light focused on area. The different spectrums on one area increase what your retina can pick-up and goes a long way to helping your vision and reducing strain.

If you use this you will find that you need less of a magnification. The more magnification you use over longer periods the more you will find that your eye quits doing it's focusing job as well.

I have gotten hours of lectures on this kind of stuff from doctors (even if some were conflicting) and can testify that it does help enough to make it worth trying. Who knows, you might get enough of a boost from just lighting to not need magnifying. But every-one is different in this.

The Ott Light is excellent lighting. As mentioned previously, magnifiers are hard to work with; you definitely have to get used to them. The Ott Magnifier is good from what I hear but I dont need magnification as of yet. The lighting makes an unbelievable difference.