Fly Tying
British mike

The fly you fish with confidence

I know that we have had similar posts before but I am really interesed to know what pattern you guys use when all else fails or what you would tie onto your leader when you are fishing blind...........ie. no hatch etc.

I know that I have probably caught more trout on a Pheasant Tail nymph and a GRHE than anything else. in 40 years of fly fishing.

Now the question is have I caught more trout on these flies because I have confidence in them and therefore have them on my leader more often or is it because they are great flies...............now there's a question for you all.......................... :P :P :P

Come on guys and gals give up that pattern...........................

Mike................................................. B)

You can catch trout anywhere in the world on those two flies. It is good to have confidence in the patterns you use but no need there. Pattern choice should also be somewhat dependent on how pressured the water has been.

I have fished these patterns religiously for almost 30 years but also prefer to use patterns that the fish haven't seen as often. As I said before, I have fished my Hetero-genius nymph (both with a copper center third or a hot orange center third) since around 1992 and I'd have to say that it holds it's own; pressure or no pressure, hatch or no hatch, winter or summer, New Zealand or Montana.

Not very glamorous, but my choice is an ant, either fur or epoxy. Hands down best producer under almost any conditions, any time of year. I fish mainly small streams in search of the elusive Brookie, and have never used such a consistant producer.

Being more of a streamer fisherman, I have to say a leech pattern or sculpin... Seems like I just have to tie one of them on when in the water...

I have had the most bites on a renegade type tied with 2 grizzly hackles instead of brow and white.

Notice i said bites??? Since i am also almost blind it helps me see the strike by sitting high in the water.

I always wonder how many trout have actually sampled my nymphs but i never had the slightest clue.

For Large and smallmouth bass trout carp walleye steelhead and everything else that swims ....... Crawdad

Well. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the humble wooly bugger. Good for about any fish that swims-warm water or cold water.

Dave

1. Tuxedo (or black tie optional with a little flash) Black Woolly Bugger....boring but terribly effective

2. Zebra midge (various shades of dark - usually fished under a CJ as a copper-dropper)

:headbang:

dry- ants always good but like the furry body ones

wet- my own version of a crayfish (i would like to get pics up but im not so good with computers lol)

Hi Mike,

Gretchen and I use a Renegade when all else fails. We dress it from very sparse (bead heads work well) to heavily hackled and use it both above and below the water's surface. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com