Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wayne s

Basic tools

I am starting to get into the realistic side of tying, I am a competant tyer of trout flies and was wondering what are the basic tools and materials needed to create the realistics.

basic tools are the same. Materials are too vast to list. Anything and everything can and is used. But don't fret this broad answer. When you have a specific questions about realistic tying we will be here to answer them. Pick your first subject you would like to tie. Say a spider for example. There are many different techniques for making realistic spider legs and most use different materials.And the same goes for the other body parts as well. There are many talented realistic tyers here on this forum that are willing to share. So you may get several answers to your question.Try one or all till you find what works best for you.

Fred

Thanks for the info Fred.

I think my first try will be at a mayfly. How would I go about creating one and materials needed?

Wayne, the first thing you need is a live specimen or a good reference photo. A good milimeter ruler to measure proportions. Swiss straw (clear) or latek strips for the tail .microfibetts . Japanese nymph legs in cream or yellow. as for wings there are some good tech. on this site using transparency film from office depot. The other materials you can get from our sponser J.Stochard.When you have your materials and are ready to begin , start a thread ie. (How do I make the tail) or ( how do I do this) and I'm sure you'll get more answers than you need. Hope this helps and welcome to the addiction.

Fred

Thanks Jack for the link.

Thanks Fred for the input.

I have most of them materials at hand now so I will post an additional "how do i" post.