Fly Tying
Guest Big E

Which Bobbin?

Hasn't anyone used the C&F? You wont go back once you use one. Ergonomic, precise thread placement, and great balance. They are $45.00 but well worth the investment. How much did you spend on that rifle or shotgun that you use 4 times a year?

I have, both the standard and the midge. Love them both and they are my go to units. All others have been put back into storage. So I would agree - Once you go C&F you ain't going back.............

I use mostly griffin ceramic bobbins.. However, over the past couple years I have picked up different ones here and there that all work for me at times.. Rite bobbin, Dr Slick, couple $3 large tube bobbins for wool and tinsels, etc..

I have found that with the Rite Bobbins, I break alot of thread because it doesn't fit in my large hand properly and no matter how I adjust it, My hand causes it to be too tight at times..

I would like to try one of those basic ceramic bobbins that have the little plastic or rubber gripper on it.. Not sure what brand it is but I think its a cheapy too..

There is nothing wrong with any of the CHEAP bobbins as long as they are ceramic tipped atleast..

NOTE: I just looked at those C&F bobbins and they look pretty cool.. Maybe i'll pick one up. Are they available in shops or just online from the manufacturer?

Thanks

Chris

I prefer using my Norvise auto bobbin, as I love using my bobbin rest (most of my tyer friends don't use their bobbin rest at all, but an auto bobbin makes it so easy!). Currently, the spools are all loaded with Uni and I am not tying with that thread anymore, so I only use the Norvise bobbin occasionally. After I redo the spools, I'll be back to using the auto bobbin full time. For now, my go-to bobbin (especially for travel) is the Marc Petitjean Thread Through Bobbin that I bought at the November Fly Tying Symposium. The thread through feature works great and the sliding tension device is awesome. No more bending the frame. I will still continue to use this bobbin for many applications. It's great for making split thread dubbing loops as it spins perfectly, without wobble, and it's just very smooth. I know it's not a $3 bobbin, but it was worth it to me.

bobbin-holder-black.jpg

I have a Rite Bobbin too, but it's not my first choice as the open frame bugs me.

Midge bobbin, I beleive they are made by Renzetti. Its preety much the same as all the others but they use a very thin tube. I really like the thin tube because it lets me be very precise in the positioning of the thread. I know most will say it does not matter, but after using this bobbin when I try to use a standard sized tube I notice a difference.

Good Luck, Tony

Is that the ruby tip one?

Is it easy to thread it? How do you thread it?

Personally I use a "Ken Newton Professional Ceramic Bobbin Holder," it's very nice to use with quite a thin tube, but one of its "feet"

is loose, though this stays in place while the thread is clamped in so this defect won't have any conseqeances unless the foot falls off!

I use mostly griffin ceramic bobbins.. However, over the past couple years I have picked up different ones here and there that all work for me at times.. Rite bobbin, Dr Slick, couple $3 large tube bobbins for wool and tinsels, etc..

I have found that with the Rite Bobbins, I break alot of thread because it doesn't fit in my large hand properly and no matter how I adjust it, My hand causes it to be too tight at times..

I would like to try one of those basic ceramic bobbins that have the little plastic or rubber gripper on it.. Not sure what brand it is but I think its a cheapy too..

There is nothing wrong with any of the CHEAP bobbins as long as they are ceramic tipped atleast..

NOTE: I just looked at those C&F bobbins and they look pretty cool.. Maybe i'll pick one up. Are they available in shops or just online from the manufacturer?

Thanks

Chris

I have two C&F (Standard and midge) and its all I use. You should be able to find them in shops, though they are very pricey so many shops might not carry them.

I also got my eye on Marc Petitjean's bobbin holder, the threading future looks handy for floss and large threads.

I recently purchased a couple of the Tiemco ceramic bobbins. These are very smooth and moderately priced. I would recommend them to all tyers.

Man I guess I am going to date myself with what I use but I still mainly use the old S & M bobbins and a bunch of old Thompson bobbins.

i am now using the petitjean bobbin holder but i havent thrown out my tiemco ceramic bobbin holders

I use all kinds of bobbins.

C&F, Tiemco ceramic, nor-vise bobbin and a griffin peewee. Also I own a couple of other bobbins. They are good, but not as good as the ones I just listed.

Ok...I've been thru a few sets of bobbins now and can't seem to find one that I like. What's everyone using?

I have cheap bobbins and expensive bobbins. My all-time favorite is the Umpqua ergonomic model. Ceramic tube and offset "grip".

Love my rite bobbins. I have a problem actually. My name is Will, and I cant stop buying Rite bobbins. I think I have 5 of them all of which have been purchased in the last 10 years. Most are standard, but I have a magnum too for saltwater and bass bugs etc. They are AWESOME!

That said, I really wish I could find something I liked as much that fit the silk threads I have. So far I just use a little skinny clip bobbin with them and it's fine, but the Rite's just feel better. I should just make little spacers I guess...

Will

The old S&M bobbins were made locally and were popular for many years.

The tube was brass with a thin chrome plating, offered in long and short lengths..

A local fly shop called S&M was located in Bristol, CT, only opened evenings from 6-9pm, the owners had full time careers in manufacturing,,,, visited once a week.

They went out of business and the new owner had loads of parts in bins,,, I purchased a bunch of spare tubes.

Regards,

FK