Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Line Type

I would like to hear your opinion. The main river I fish is a tail water fishery. The river is about 60 to 80 yards avg. I like to fish streamers most of the time on it. It does have some very good hatches. It has some pools that go to 10+ feet.

I use a 6 wt with a sink tip line. The tip is 4 ft class 5. It doesn't get the fly down at times. The avg flow is 300 cfm. I am going to move up to an 8 or 9 wt. Any suggestions on a rod, wt, and line for my conditions.

i fish a full sinking line once on the big manistee system below tippy dam here in michigan and never once did it touch bottom it a class 6 court land 444sl line if the water is moving that good you will have to improvise. are you throwing buck tails and feather wings or large bulky flies like muddler and zoo cougars and the likes if throwing the muddler and there likes use a sink tip or tie t-14 to the line just a foot or two but the real secret to get a muddler down is tie it sparse. but remember one thing if you tie it spare it will not push water like there meant to. so it not packed tight this and cone head help. as for flies like feather and buck tail wings i use a floater with no t-14 and no spit or weight just dunk you fly before casting it. this is because i strip different then most on these rivers i will do a salt strip. were i pull pause pull instead of one stead pull like the jerk strip does give the fly time to sink in between strips and it gets a darting motion. and have taken big fish because of this if it's a steady flowing river you will never hit bottom with a sinking line. btw i am using a whipped loop system i whip loop in the ends of all my fly lines and the t-14 /t-8. all you do is loop it back over it self "the fly line " and spin a bobbin around it with (g) size tying thread and whip finish and super glue with a rubber or laytex glove on so it does not stick to your skin. then it a quick change system for switching back and forth. fish do not have eyes on the bottom of there head so if it up in the top of the water up by the surface it's fine any ways hope it helps you good luck and tight lines rhino...............

save yourself the money and just buy a full sinking line... afterall gas aint cheap now a days

a lot of guys do this with a full sink line and the kelly galoups jerk strip method as you can see i do not care for it but others do so more the marry if you go with the sinking line btw if your rod catches fish and lands them safely now.that's why i would not buy another one it's waste of money and time to buy a bigger rod they spook fish more then a lighter one because of the line landing harder and faster remember the latrel line on trout bass and all fish etc...if fishing bass flies use a bass taper line to turn over the line better and cast flies further it all in the taper. was not sure if it's trout or bass your after. btw casting down and across will help sink the fly and make look natural any ways good luck and tight lines rhino.......btw a short leader i.e. 2-3 foot will make the fly sink better then a 9 footer

Thanks rhino, I was thinking about the other wt rods for the reason that many of my flys are weighted so I can get them down. That and the wind makes casting harder. I use the jerk strip retreve. On that river even a weighted fly on a dead drift will not get down because of the flow in spots. I use a straight mono leader 3 - 4 ft to get it down.

I'm open for suggestions.

eastern fly

I'd say a 7 to 8 wt rod with a 300-350 grain sink tip. Short leader, heavier (less bulky) fly, and waiting a bit longer before you start your retrieve should help get you deeper. The full sinking lines are a real pain to cast; especially on rivers.

Thanks rhino, I was thinking about the other wt rods for the reason that many of my flys are weighted so I can get them down. That and the wind makes casting harder. I use the jerk strip retreve. On that river even a weighted fly on a dead drift will not get down because of the flow in spots. I use a straight mono leader 3 - 4 ft to get it down.

I'm open for suggestions.

eastern fly

i hate to suggest this but have you ever heard of chuck and duck fishing you could set up a rod for c"n"d on a 6 weight. if all there is is trout in them holes if there is steel head or Atlantic's you may want a bigger rod if not a 6 should be fine. the reason i hate to suggest c"n"d is some claim it not fly fishing. but fishing is fishing with a lot so granted some one may want to try some thing different. you can fish streamers and nymphs but no dries on a c"n"d set up and it is real easy to cast. any ways good luck and tight lines rhino.... the heaver head will not make it sink faster they do the same thing.

http://www.trailstotrout.com/tips.html