Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DAVIDM

salmon fly materials

Does anyone have some extra salmon fly materials Thanks! let me know if you have some and we will talk about prices or trade. I would just like to add some variety to my fly tying skills.i can use any thing like hooks,feathers,floss,guts for hooks,thanks davidm

I have a pack of orange hackle that i have never used and will not use and i have some red and black barred hackle as well.

Im not sure if this is what you are looking for but i tie comets out of these feathers.

Charlie

Kingfisher,Jungle Cock,Lady Amherst Pheasant,Scarlet Macaw Coverts Multi-Colored,any colored floss,things to get started with

I suggest that you pick a pattern that you want to start learning how to dress salmon flies and restrict your search for materials to those needed for one pattern. Don't start with a pattern that calls for some of the things in your wish list - e.g. Lady Amherst Pheasant, Scarlet Macaw Coverts, etc. Also, don't pick a Jock Scott as your starting fly.

There are several relatively simple patterns calling for a minimum of materials that folks can probably help you out with. An example would be a Red Rover or a Thunder & Lightning, or one of the Irish patterns from Malone's book.

Charlie Vestal

thanks for the info Charlie what would i all need for the Red Rover and what are some of the simple patterns for me to try

Also david you try the comet it uses bead chain for eyes orange calf tail for the tail orange thread silver flat tinsel for the body silver wire for ribbing and orange and yellow hackle

I will post a pic of it later to give you an Idea.

Charlie

The Red Rover is a full dressed pattern from Kelson's 1895 classic "The Salmon Fly".

Tag: Silver oval tinsel and yellow floss. {small or x-small size tinsel; silk floss if possible)

Tail: Golden Pheasant topping.

Butt: Black ostrich herl. {buy a feather duster from Wal-Mart. They have natural black ostrich in the ones they sell}

Body: Magenta Berlin wool.

Rib: Silver oval tinsel. {a size larger than the tag}

Hackle: Yellow. {saddle hackle with a nice Christmas tree shape}

Throat: Red. {something webby like schlappen}

Wings: Underwing - Golden Pheasant tippet; Main wing - Peacock Secondary wing quill, dark mottled turkey, red swan or red goose or red turkey (best choice), Golden Pheasant tail.

Topping: Golden Pheasant topping.

Sides: Jungle Cock.

Additionally you'll need a blind-eye hook (I'd suggest about a 3/0) and some silk worm gut.

Check out www.classicflytying.com for lots of examples of Red Rovers.

Send me your mailing address and I'll put together an instruction package and throw in some workable materials for you.

Once you've mastered this pattern, you should be able to dress the following: Baker, Colonel, Helmsdale Doctor, Benchill, Sir Richard, and Gordon.

Charlie Vestal