Fly Tying
Wulff

A little of this, a little of that...its adds up to alot

Come on down here John - we've got a nice 8-pt buck out back who's been a fanatic about keeping my wife's roses neatly trimmed. From the tracks I've seen, there's a bigger one around, though I haven't spotted him yet. The problem around here isn't finding deer, it's keeping them in the woods and out of the tomatoes. You could sit out in my garden with a baseball bat and get enough venison to fill up the freezer in about an hour. When I think about all the hours I've spent in the woods on deer stands, it makes me a little crazy.

Its funny..maybe not..dunno.

But talk to Ontario hunters and most pine about how much better the management of WTs in the states has been. Look at a map of Ontario and then look at NY,Maine,Ver etc. Yet, the WT populations in Ont are dwarfed by any 1 state. Then consider that the vast bulk of Ont is undeveloped and still for the most part "wild".

Thats not to say Ont doesnt have big bucks. A new record was set last fall...22 pter if I recal. Just not as many. I forget the actual #'s but its staggering.

If I cant get out with WT hunters Oct/Nov for some hunting imagery, and if I don't find any myself Im considering heading to Quebec or the US for a weekend maybe in Dec/Jan.

John, I think the large WT population here in the northeastern U.S. is due more to chance than sound management practices. The forest here is a lot more fragmented than it is up your way, and WTs thrive on a combination of cover and open space. There just isn't as big a food supply in a mature forest as there is in an area like southern NE, where there's a lot of semi-rural terrain and soft vegetation. The mild winters here help too. About the only winter-kills here in CT result from deer running out in front of the occasional sanding truck. The deer here don't get that ratty look in spring like the ones I used to see in Maine, where they go hungry during the worst part of winter. My mother-in-law used to live in New London, CT, which is 100% urban, and I can show you spots there where you're just about guaranteed to kick up a WT or two if you really look. All they need is a small patch of cover, and they venture out at night to do their feeding on shrubbery, etc. Their adaptability is just amazing.

Wow John, always good stuff to see on your posts. Thanks for taking the time to share these great photos with us..I am really looking forward to FALL AS WELL..

Great pics. Is that a hooded merganser getting shot? Sure looks like one, but Ive never seen one in a field like that, or is it a different picture than the bird flushing? Anyway, again, great pics. Duane

Duane its a Chukar.

Heres the next frame after the "taking aim"

IPB Image

The other shot is the same species, but from another sequence

And heres a sligtly better look at one.

IPB Image

Thanks all.

Nice to see you drop by CB. Ive gota be in the Chattam area sometime in Oct/Nov for a couple days shooting . That anywhere near you?