Fly Tying
kschu

Barbless or not for swaps?

Are your swap flies barbless or barb intact?  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While on barbs or not! I read somewhere a while ago, don't remember where, that the new barbless hooks are disigned & made in a way that is so much better than any barbed hook with the barb taken away! I mean they work much better than a barbless barbed hook!

Better in what way? I like the small bump that is left when I crimp a barb. Is there an advantage to "new barbless hooks"?

A true barbless hook will make a smaller entry hole and with a slight hook to the hook it just might hold better than a crimped barb making a bigger hole. Seems like something that would be darn hard to prove one way or the other.

The point on the hook of barbless hooks are longer than barbed! I'm not 100% barbless yet, but do use them on pike hooks, nymph hooks, 50% of dry fly hooks & some salmon tube singles! TMC jig nymph hooks are barbless & #16 & #14 keep 3kg seatrout on!

The point on the hook of barbless hooks are longer than barbed!

I once noticed that on pictures of flies ... and asked about it on the thread. I was informed that the hook point is not really longer, it just looks that way because of the smooth taper without the barb.

So, I decided to stay with barbed hooks to keep from confusing myself.

That's crap! What year? New age barbless hooks have longer points! 75,000,000euros on euro jackpot this friday! How many leaders & hooks do you want? :-)