Fly Tying
bigdewy

"Hard As Nails" Thinner?

I bought a bottle of "Hard As Nails", but it is too thick. I couldn't find any "Hard As Nails" thinner in the nail polish section. Any suggestions?

If you check the ingredients list on the bottle I think you will find the solvent now used in Hard as Nails is Toluene or Toluol (a blend of Toluene temperature cuts) which is found in any hardware store and is much more user friendly than acetone.

As Crappie pointed out, Acetone will work just fine.

Toluene is used to thin Dave's Fleximent or Softex but is not necessary for fingernail polish. Might even have some unintended consequences.

YMMV.

If you check the ingredients list on the bottle I think you will find the solvent now used in Hard as Nails is Toluene or Toluol (a blend of Toluene temperature cuts) which is found in any hardware store and is much more user friendly than acetone.

According to MSDS, acetone has considerably higher permissible exposure limits than does toluene.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/A0446.htm

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/T3913.htm

I use a little acetone to do it.

Crappie

Good Day,

Acetate and Butyl Acetate are on the label. So, I would stick with acetate. And get an eye dropper too.

Steelie

Buy a new bottle.

First, keep the thickened Hard-As-Nails for assembling wings of Rangeley streamers. This is what Mike Martinek uses. Personally I prefer thickened Fleximent.

Second, these special purpose lacquers are made with blends of solvents to keep them from getting lumpy or cloudy, and to keep the finish like glass as it is applied and dries. Using one solvent is likely to leave the contents of the bottle a mess, as well as the heads of your flies. The thickness of the liquid is engineered to leave just the right glossy finish on your fly head when applied by a tiny brush or the end of a bodkin or needle.

Thirdly, these solvents are nasty, and must be used away from flames, like your furnace pilot light. Or we'll read about you in the obituary section of your local paper.

Considering the cost of a bottle of Sally Hansen's Hard-As Nails is about $2.99 or so, and is available in just about any drug store, just go buy some. And use it as it comes from the bottle.

-E

You can always add a bit of finger nail polish remover. Thats what i did to thin out the bottle of hard as nails that i've been using. Seemed to work great, just pour a little in the original hard as nails bottle, put lid on and shake, simple as that.

If you really learn to whip finish properly, so one wrap is next to the last one and the thread is underneath 5 wraps, you don't need any head cement and you are that much quicker tying each fly. Even streamers, just whip finish twice. Now if you are making them pretty with head cement, I use 1 coat Griff's thin cement and then as necessary coat with Dave's Fleximent or Griffs thick cement that I have thinned slightly. On flies to frame there can easily be four or five coats for the desired effect. The best advice I can give to beginners is always put the cap back on tightly. Spilling a bottle of cement on a Whiting Saddle will bring a tear to your eye. Also the cement will last much longer and in better condition with minimal air exposure. Lastly, don't store cement or any materials in direct sunlight.

Cheers Futzer.

The stuff is NOT a penetrating head cement. I use it as top coats on streamers and salmon flies. First coat is relatively thin traditional head cement. That stuff penetrates the thread wraps, even waxed thread. Now coats 2 &3 are Hard-as-Nails, and coat 4 is black Pro-Lak. Leaves an amazingly glossy built up head. For colored heads I skip the Pro-Lak and let the thread colors show through.