Fly Tying
Houdini

Jack Gartside

I have been unable to confirm it, but I heard Jack was ill. If someone in touch with him could confirm this, please do.

Apparently, Jack has been diagnosed with lymphoid cancer and is being treated at the West Roxbury VA hospital.

Cards and well wishes may be sent to

VA Hospital

Sect AG

West Roxbury Division

1400 VFW Parkway

West Roxbury, MA 02132

617-323-7700

DAMN............i'll email him and see if he responds.............that's real sad news.................i was wondering why i hadn't got his Nov. email newsletter. poor guy.......he's never had any bread, so i'm glad that at least he's a veteran.........although those hospitals usually suck.....my father was in and out of one for years...........free but lousy care. Guess we'll be missing him at Somerset...........bummer. Are you sure bout your info?

:wallbash: Very Very sorry to hear this. I met him a few years ago. He is really a good man. Pray.

This is the message from Jack's website:

A few of you may know (though most probably don’t) that Jack was hospitalized last week. The diagnosis is small-cell lung cancer. Not something you want to have. Right now he’s undergoing an aggressive course of chemotherapy and radiation.

When you hear a friend has cancer the ground drops from under your feet. You picture your friend diminished by disease, a whisper of his or her former self. You feel helpless, kicked in the gut (at least, that’s how I felt).

All I can say is that cancer has never butted heads with the irresistible force that is Jack Gartside before.

He’s in amazing spirits–laughing and joking. His second day in, as doctors entered the room, serious, conferring, they burst out laughing at the site of Jack and all his visitors all wearing these goofy coke bottle eyeglasses Katie Lavelle had brought over. With an unfamiliar stretch of the Charles River flowing by his hospital window, Jack convinced Dale Linder and Dave Skok to bring their rods and fish it on their next visit so he can know what’s in there.

Just as amazing has been the outpouring of support from Jack’s friends, acquaintances, and people who just admire his work. There have been calls, cards, and emails (I’ll post a few of them below) from all over the world. Fishing companions, fellow fly tyers, family, fans, dance partners, old friends and new. Jack’s been truly touched and inspired to have so many people wish him well. Strange though it may sound, he is just loving life right now. He told me tonight “Tell people I’m going to be back in that bellyboat catching pickerel as soon as I can.”

Another thing Jack has been really touched by (so much so the he asked me to mention it) is the quality of care he’s receiving at the veteran’s administration hospital. The other night on the phone he couldn’t stop talking about how wonderful everyone has been–the doctors, nurses, and staff. He told me that after he thanks a staff person for something it’s common for them to reply, “No. Thank YOU for your service.” Simply outstanding. (It’s the VA in West Roxbury, MA, by the way.)

How long Jack will be in the hospital we don’t know yet. He could be home as early as next week. It all depends on how his system responds to the treatment. Outpatient or inpatient, the treatment will take several months.

Lastly, if you’re wondering about whether now is the right time to place an order on Jack’s web site, the answer is an emphatic “Yes.” Books are in stock, as are thousands of flies, prints, and other things. While Jack is in the hospital, I and a few other friends are filling his orders.

I am very sorry to hear this for Jack. I have read much about him and was hoping to get away from the table at Sommerset to meet him. From what I have heard, if anyone can beat this rap it's Jack so I will start to plan on catching up with him next year.

Get better Jack, a lot of people are pulling for you ;)

Anyone who has never been to Jack's website should definitely check it out. In addition to his merchandise, Jack has a great section with stories of his many fishing adventures both in the U.S. and south of the border. Well worth spending a couple of hours. :yahoo:

:headbang: :yahoo: :D ;) :) that's wonderful..................WONDERFUL..............................WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my wife and i, after several years of wanting to...........took his class at Somerset last year..........it was a BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BIG TIME FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got my email newsletter from him a couple days ago and figgered he must be doin' fairly well...................

He'll kick it's ass..........No Doubt. When you speak with him.....please tell him mark&Misa say hi and wish him all the best and happy holidays.......and tell him this.................if he dies, i'm gonna kill 'em. :hyst: mark..... :P